Monday, July 4, 2011

Chocolate and Orange Cupcakes

 

Orange Chocolate Cupcakes 024

It’s the Fourth of July and we are headed to a BBQ and fireworks this evening.  We are lucky that we don’t even have to leave the neighborhood to see a great fireworks display.  We have someone who lives in the neighborhood who very generously puts on a great show each year over the soccer field.  Each year it gets better and better with music included.  Our friends live across the street from the soccer field so we bring chairs and blankets and spread out on their front lawn for the show each year.

 Orange Chocolate Cupcakes 029

I’ll be taking a Brown Rice Salad with fresh dill and summer tomatoes as a side dish tonight since the Hamburgers and Hot Dogs will be provided.  I’ll be posting that recipe later in the week.  It’s so good and I haven’t made it in years.  And I am also go to bring a couple dozen of these Chocolate Orange Cupcakes.  Last year I took cupcakes and every single one vanished.

 Orange Chocolate Cupcakes 021

These are easy to make especially since they came from a mix and a tub!  I am not a snob when it comes to cupcakes.  No need to bake from scratch here. The easier the better. 

Chocolate Orange Cupcakes

1 box of Duncan Hines Orange Flavored Cake Mix

1 jar of Duncan Hines Creamy Home-style Classic Chocolate Frosting

1/2 tsp. orange extract

1 bag of orange slice candies

Prepare the cake mix according to directions on the back.  Pour the batter into lined cupcake pans and bake according to directions.  Remove from oven and let cool. 

Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract into the frosting and mix well.  Once the cupcakes are cooled you can frost with the icing and place an orange slice on the top of each cupcake.  Let set.  Refrigerate if it is a warm day to firmly set the icing and the candy on top.  

Orange Chocolate Cupcakes 025

Not very patriotic looking but that’s okay with me.  And they smell wonderful too!

6 comments:

Manu said...

Chocolate and Orange is a magic combination! LOL

greenthumb said...

yum they look so good, i love chocolate and orange togther.

Ti said...

About a month ago, I was forced to take on a gluten-free diet. I never had a sweet tooth before but for some reason, now that the gluten is out of my system I want sweet things like these cupcakes!!

I've been experiementing with different flours and the results haven't been too bad. I can live with them. I will continue to drool over your recipes though.

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Mmmm. Those cupcakes looks delish, Lisa. Checking in and drooling over your last few posts. Darn! I think I may have gained a couple pounds.

Always on the lookout for new, easy recipes. Thanks for sharing!
Carla

Anonymous said...

Cutie patootie cupcakes!

Lisa said...

Your cupcakes are such a pretty sight. That orange slice really dresses them up nicely. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cupcakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html