Who even knew they made canning jars this big??! I picked up a box of half gallon sized Ball canning jars the other day. I found the giant half gallon sized jars at my local ACE Hardware. (You can order them from Amazon.com too.) I wasn’t even sure what I was going to do with them at first but I couldn’t leave them there. I had never seen a canning jar that big before. And now I have six . I estimate that there is the equivalent of 4 pint sized jars in that one half gallon sized jar.
Not sure what I am going to do with all six of them but I can’t wait to see the look on the face of my biggest pickle fan when I give him a jar this size filled with pickles!
Here is my jar collection. The new gallon sized jars next to quart jars, the ever popular pint sized pickle jars and then we have the quilted jelly jars and my favorite mini jam jars that I like to put my Jalapeno Pepper Jelly in. I have a big bag of Jalapenos from the Farmer’s Market sitting in my fridge right now waiting for me to turn them into jam.
So I have been thinking. What else can I do with these gigantic jars? Here is what I came up with so far:
1. Luminaries at Xmas. I think these will make great luminaries. The bigger the better right? Fill the bottom with white sand or I’ve even seen Epsom Salts used because the white crystals look like snow. Add a small candle. Maybe tie some holly on the outside.
2. Store food like sugar in the pantry. Stay one step ahead of the %^&%$# pantry moths! Dried beans, pasta, and rice.
3. Soup storage in the refrigerator. Glass is supposed to be safer than plastic for storing anything especially if it’s hot.
4. Make baking mixes up in advance. I have a great recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes that I will have to post later this week. It might be nice to have the mix pre-made and then only add the wet ingredients whenever the pancake mood hits.
5. Baking Mix for gifts. I’ve seen those premixed cookie mix jars a lot around the holidays.
6. Vase for flowers.
7. Mix up cocktails like Margaritas, Sangria, or Cosmopolitans in advance and store in fridge.
8. Moon Shine. (Just kidding. Not really.)
Got any other ideas on what to do with these monsters? I would love to hear them.