Saturday, July 12, 2014

Creating A Fairy Garden

Fairy Garden 001

The beginnings of a Fairy Garden!  This is something I’ve wanted to make for a long time.  Ever since I saw a Fairy Garden put together in a little red wagon a few years ago on a blog lost somewhere in time because for the life of me I can’t remember where I saw it but the image lives on in my mind…I have wanted to create one!  So I started out small with an old basket that I used to gather vegetables in back in the days when I had a big garden.  The Bermuda grass here has made that all but impossible for me to garden now and I actually threw in the towel and let the grass take over and now I garden in small pots on my deck and visit the Farmer’s Market on a regular basis.  (And to my high school English teacher Mrs. Lonteen…I apologize in advance for the lengthy run-on sentences that I will continue to use.)  : )

Fairy Garden 008     Fairy Garden 006

I actually found the starter plants for my Fairy Garden at said Farmer’s Market last weekend.  That lovely pale green mound of moss with the tiniest of white flowers is called Scottish moss and it perfect for a project like this.  I also picked up a small pot of “Coccineus”  which is a Red Wild Thyme and promises to get tiny red…but possibly hot pink flowers.  I’ll let you know when it blooms.  And I also picked up a pot of a creeping Wooly Thyme. 

Fairy Garden 003

I lined the basket with a black plastic trash bag that I cut out and trimmed to fit my basket.

Fairy Garden 005

  Then filled it with black Miracle Grow Potting Mix and potted my plants. 

 

Fairy Garden 012

Now for the fun part.  Let’s add some charm shall we?  It’s only a start but I painted a rock with outdoor craft paint and made welcome stone.  I scrounged around under the big oak tree in the backyard for some acorn caps and made a path.  I still need more charming elements to add to this.  My next addition will be some red and white spotted mushrooms that I plan to make.  Perhaps a bridge over some water, an adorable fairy sized banner and maybe a place to sit?  How about a house for my fairy to live in?

Fairy Garden 016

I have only just started but love it already!

Have you ever made a Fairy Garden?

Help me finish mine!  Please!

I would love to hear your ideas and what are some of the things you used and put in yours!

4 comments:

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

So cute! Love the little welcome rock and those tiny plants are cute!! :) Have a great weekend! xo Holly

Stacey said...

Cute!! I have been planning to make a fairy garden for two years and haven't done it. I do have thyme in my flower bed..love it!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I think you are off to a great start, Lisa. I love so many of the different elements they sell for fairy gardens. I found a nursery not too far from us that has a whole area devoted to fairy gardens and they even have some samples done up. I'm sure I could spend a lot of money just buying all the cute little things. I have to fix mine up, but will probably go simple and get many a bench or little table and chairs. Right now I have some little pots and a little gnome. My wishing well broke, but it wasn't really meant to be outdoors.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Thanks for the comments....I haven't even shopped around yet for things but was told a nursery near me might have some cute things...I'll check it out and buy what i can't copy and make for myself! :)