Saturday, November 19, 2016

Chinese Rice with Cauliflower

Chinese Rice with Cauliflower

This made me so happy!   I am probably one of the last people to try this.  Cauliflower as a substitute for almost anything that’s pretty much forbidden for a low-carber? I’ve seen recipes for cauliflower potatoes and now this is a substitute for rice.  It honestly has made my food processor my favorite appliance once again.  My Cuisinart and I go a long way back.  About 30 plus years.  It was a gift from my Grandmother and I considered it quite extravagant and I was the lucky recipient!! 

A food processor makes this recipe EASY.  I’ve also heard that you can buy cauliflower that has been “riced” in the frozen food section.  I also heard that Trader Joes has an excellent riced cauliflower even though that doesn’t help me any since we will never get a Trader Joes’s here!  But don’t get me started on a rant.  : )

So I saw this post on Facebook where I got to watch a demo of how to make it.  I was inspired.   Fresh lime juice and cilantro?  Got to try it!

Here is the recipe:

Chinese Rice with Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower, riced size from the food processor

1 medium onion chopped

1 minced/pressed garlic clove

pinch of red pepper flakes

olive oil

2 eggs, scrambled

Birdseye frozen corn, carrot, green beans, and peas mixture ( I used half of a bag)

Soy sauce.  I used about 1/4 cup. 

! tsp. of ginger or Chinese 5 spice powder

1/2 fresh lime, juiced.  ( I also used a Micro Plane Grater to add some of the lime zest for extra lime flavor)

Fresh cilantro chopped

Optional:  Leftover rotisserie chicken or beef.

I used a wok pan but any fry pan will work. 

Saute the chopped onions in olive oil.  Add the red pepper flakes and then the garlic.  Be careful not to burn the garlic.

Add the riced cauliflower and the frozen chopped vegetable.  Stir well and cook till the cauliflower is tender.

Make space in the center of the pad by moving the cauliflower and vegetable mixture to the sides and then good and break up the eggs and bring the cauliflower mixture back into the center of the pan and mix. 

Shake in the Soy sauce and mix. 

Sprinkle with the ginger or Chinese Five Spice Powder.  Mix well. 

Add any leftover protein/meat that you might want. 

Finish with the lime juice and the fresh chopped cilantro. 

This is awesome!!   I ate 3 plates!  Three!  And I felt so good.  Rice can sometimes make me feel bloated and that was not a problem. 

I need to start looking for a cheesy cauliflower in place of  mashed potatoes recipe. 

1 comment:

Manu said...

Lisa, thanks for this delicious recipe!!
love