Thursday, December 9, 2010

Top 14 Favorite Movies to Watch During the Holidays

I usually don’t do this.  In fact I have never done it but here is a revised post of a list I did last year around this time listing my favorite movies to watch during the Christmas season.  My original post listed 12 movies.   I have added another two that I forgot last time around.
So start popping the popcorn!
Are any of your favorites missing from my list?
Top 14 Favorite Movies to Watch During the Holidays

Here they are in no particular order.

image  imageimage 

1. Love Actually: I am crazy for almost any movie that comes out of England...that quirky Brit humor. And how funny was that aging rocker?

image image  image

2. Christmas in Connecticut: The original Martha Stewart.

image image  image

3. White Christmas: Love this each time I see it. Great dancing and have you ever seen a waist that small on a human being?? And who drinks buttermilk when they can’t sleep??? (cough, cough, gag, gag.)

image  image

4. While you were sleeping: I love this movie anytime of year but especially at Christmas. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that family?

image  image

5. Home Alone: So entertaining. Love Chicago in the wintertime.

        image image image

6. Elf: Such a cute and original move.  

image   image image

7. The Holiday: Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet swap houses over the holiday. Sweet movie and you get a taste of England too!

image  image image

8. The Family Stone: Just saw this one on TV. We finally got digital cable and we keep finding new channels and this was on just the the other night. It makes me cry every time but I just love it. Quirky. And I love quirky!

imageimageimageimage

9. A Charlie Brown Christmas: Technically not a a movie but it sure is cute and it takes me back……wayyyyyy back. :)

imageimageimage

10. Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer: Again, not a movie but it is beloved by many. I Love Herbie the Dentist. This show made me cry when I was little and the Abominable Snowman scared me big time!

image image image

11. It’s a Wonderful life: This is my husband's favorite holiday movie.

image  image image

12. About A Boy: Who knows all the words to "Santa’s Super Sleigh"?

 

imageimageimage

13.    How the Grinch Stole Christmas:  All the Who’s down in Whoville… And Cindy Lou Who too.

 image image

14.   Christmas Vacation:  who doesn’t love Chevy Chase.  And Cousin Eddie?

16 comments:

Flavia Galasso said...

Mosy of your favorite movies are even mine: Love actually, the Holiday, While you were sleeping, Elf, About a boy, life is a wonderful thing, Little women, 7 brides for seven brothers, a Christmas CArol, 4 weddings and a funeral, ...... have a nice evening, love, Flavia

Flavia Galasso said...

Mosy=most!!!sorry...

Deserae said...

This is such a great post....I had forgotten about some of the movies and will have to watch them now :o) Love your list!!!!
~Des

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love Christmas Vacation, I watch it every year! I also like A Christmas Story and I actually got to watch Polar Express from start to finish the other night. I also liked the new animated A Christmas Carol {with Jim Carrey voicing}; just saw that this past weekend. I have to be in the mood for The Santa Clause, but I did watch the DVD of that last week when I was itching for something Christmas to watch and nothing was on.

I'm a big Britcom fan myself, Lisa! I have a lot of favorites just from their regular britcom line-up that I can get here {which is usually PBS}. When we had satellite I got BBCAmerica and got to see a lot more shows.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Love them all. I would have to include A Christmas Story. Something about their Christmas Dinner at the Chinese Restaurant makes me roar every time.

Denise said...

I just watched Christmas in Conneticut for the first time this year, can you believe I'd never heard of it until a few months ago when someone online mentioned it!

Erin said...

I know and love most of these movies, but there are a couple I must look into. Also, I quote NL's Xmas Vacation all year long. Mostly, "Bend over and I'll show ya."

Melanie said...

I am not a movie person! I love tv but not movies. Gary says that it is because I can't get invested in the characters in two hours. LOL!

Stacey said...

All great movies on your list. We can not go a year without Christmas Vacation. I also absolutely love The Holiday. :)

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

I was starting to panic when I didn't see Christmas Vacation... I am going to do a post on why that might be one of the funniest movies EVER!

Yes, I am sure funny chicken stories are coming... the village comes tomorrow to inspect our fence... yikes!

Susan said...

Love those...especially Home Alone, While You Were...and The Family Stone!!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I share quite a few of those on your list, Lisa. My favorite on your list has to be Christmas Vacation. So many hilarious lines from that movie. A true comedy Christmas classic!

Karen said...

Love Actually is a must-watch movie every year for me. I also love the movie Jingle All the Way.

Bring Pretty Back said...

GREAT GREAT choices! I bought my mom Christmas in connecticut last year and we never watched it! I forgot I bought it for her until I JUST read this post! I have never seen it! I am going to have her get it out so we can watch it tomorrow night! Thanks for the reminder!
Christmas vacation is a must watch every single year!
And every year my cousin calls me after we both watch it and we laught every single year about that white dickie cousin Eddie is wearing!
Great list!
have a pretty day!
Kristin

L said...

I agree with most of them, but for me It's a Wonderful Life is #1, with Love Actually a close 2nd and A Christmas Story next....Of course always have to watch Charlie Brown and the Grinch cartoon...I am one of those who had not heard of Christmas in CT, so I will have to watch it!!!

Janean said...

aren't ya glad they make holiday movies? i also like "santa clause" with *time the toolman*