Thursday, July 12, 2012

Scrambled Omelette with Spinach, Corn, and Cheddar

IMG_1515

Today I had the most delicious breakfast!  Most mornings I am in a rush and typically I’ll have a couple cups of coffee, a hard boiled egg, and a slice of whole grain toast with some peanut butter on it.  And that is a great breakfast for me because it works.  It keeps me going all morning.  But today I had a bit more time than normal and wanted something slightly different.  This is what I came up with. 

  

Scrambled Omelette with Spinach, Corn, and Cheddar

Olive Oil

Spinach

2 Eggs, beaten

Sea salt

Ground black pepper

Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Fresh corn cut off the cobb if you can (mine was leftover from dinner the night before.)

Small tomato, diced

1 slice of Ezekiel bread, toasted

1/4 of an avocado

IMG_1510

I started out with a handful of fresh spinach that I sautéed in about 1 teaspoon of olive oil.   I added some delicious leftover corn kernels from last night’s corn on the cobb from dinner and then added some sea salt and pepper.  I sautéed them until the spinach started to wilt down and the corn was heated through.  Then I added the two beaten eggs.  Slowly I gently folded the eggs as they cooked.  When the egg mixture was almost set, I sprinkled the eggs with some shredded Cheddar cheese and the diced tomato.  Then I transferred the scrambled omelette  to a plate and the residual heat helped to melt the cheese. 

I served it with the avocado chopped up and then spread on the piece of wheat toast. 

It was delicious!! 

IMG_1516

This recipe is VERY imprecise and really you could use whatever you have leftover from last night’s dinner and play around with the type of cheese you like. Whatever you come up with, I am sure will be delicious. But I have it on very good authority that this is a winning combination.

4 comments:

Ti said...

I'd never think to use corn in an omelette but seeing it here, I must say it looks wonderful!

I love the unintentional Tex Mex touch.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

My oh my that looks good and full of protein.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

How delicious looking! I'll bet it kept you going through dinner! I can't wait to mark this!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

This looks like summertime on a plate. My mother-in-law once made a corn quiche and it was delicious. I love a sharp cheddar with my eggs.