Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hand Stenciled Napkins

 

Napkin with Noel 018

I spent part of the day today working on these Christmas Napkins.  I am so tickled with the way they turned out!!  I made them out of a piece Painter’s Canvas Drop Cloth that I found at Lowe’s for a mere $5.00.  The price is hard to beat but I actually do love the way this cloth looks a lot like a rustic linen.  I was able to make 4 napkins and two tea towels out of one 4ft. x 5ft. piece.  Are you looking for an easy and inexpensive handmade Christmas gift idea?

Napkin with Noel 006

Here is how I made them.  I took a cloth napkin that I already had and used it as a pattern for the size I wanted.  My napkins measure approximately 19 inches x 19 inches.  I cut out 4 pieces of the Painter’s Cloth.  I turned in the raw edges approximately 1/4 inch on all four sides and ironed it down with a hot iron.  I then turned each side in again 1/4 inch and ironed in place.  I sewed all four edges down so that all my edges were finished with a double folded edge.  This gives you a neat edge. Ironing down all the edges really helped make the sewing part much easier and the edges neater.  Don’t skip this step!

 Napkin with Noel 007

I then stenciled the word “Noel” on each of my napkins using black craft paint.  To do this I carefully folded the napkins how I wanted to see them in the napkin rings and that is how I knew where I wanted to place my stencil.  I used a stencil that I purchased at Maison de Stencil but you could also use any alphabet stencil and then you could dip the eraser at the top of a pencil in some paint and touch it down to get the two dots over the letter “E” in “Noel”.   I also used some blue painter’s tape to help keep my stencil in place while I worked. 

Napkin with Noel 010

And don’t they look great with the number napkin rings I found at Pottery Barn last year?! :)

Napkin with Noel 028

I think I am going to get myself another piece of the Painter’s Cloth and make some more so that I have a set of at least 6 or 8 napkins.  I also made two tea towels that I can’t wait to show you.   I will be posting them soon!!  So stay tuned!

image

I am linking this post up to Make It 4 Monday Over at Cottage Instincts.  Stop by to see some more great ideas.

And I am linking up to Just Something I Whipped Up Holiday Style over at The Girl Creative.  More fun projects over there too!

And I am linking up to Thrifty Thursday over at Tales From Bloggeritaville.  Stop by for a visit there too!

35 comments:

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

They turned out great-enjoy:@)

Kare said...

They look great! Definitely a project I'm going to give a try. Love those PB napkin rings too!!

Jane said...

The napkins are wonderful!! I love this project. You are the best at stenciling. Thanks for the link for the stencils too!
Jane

Marie@PoutyPinkPrincess said...

Love the napkins! They would make a great gift!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love these, Lisa! Especially since I have those same napkin rings ~ they go so well together. Do you think the napkins would make it through the wash okay, or maybe try a fabric paint? You always find such great stencils to use!

Deserae said...

What a clever idea.....amazing what you can do with drop clothes :o) Love the stenciled words with the numbered napkin rings....very pretty!!!
~Des

sissie said...

Lisa,
These look wonderful. You did a beautiful job. They remind me of something very expensive at Pottery Barn!

hugs
Sissie

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Great point Kathy...fabric paint to be safe. I think the regular paint is going to be fine but I'll keep you posted after I launder them.

southerninspirationsblog said...

These are so lovely! I never would have thought of using drop cloths for napkins but they are perfect for the job! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Those are so darn nice! They look straight out of a PB catalogue. :)

Kelly said...

Love these,they turned out perfect, great work! I loved those napkin holders when I saw them last year. I knew I should have gotten some, they look fantastic.

Jo said...

You are so clever!

I love this idea {why can't I think this stuff up} and am going to borrow it for our holiday table.

Jo

The Polka Dot Closet said...

They look so Pottery Barn! I love them, yu are obviously the queen of stencil what a great job!!

Carol

Tricia - A Rosy Note said...

Love these! They look great with the napkin rings :)

EliFla said...

These napkins are really beautiful.... Bravissima!!!!Ciao Flavia

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Love 'em, Lisa! Can't wait to copy your fabulous idea. I have lots of left-over pieces of painter's canvas from my chair recover. Thanks for the inspiration!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

These are great!

Laura said...

Lisa-
You outdid yourself!
I want that stencil!
I am off to order it-

Laura
White Spray Paint

Brenda Kula said...

These are so pretty! And how economical is that? I think you must be the stencil queen. And thanks for the tutorial on how to make some for ourselves. Great look!
Brenda

Susannah said...

That is a fantastic idea! I love that you made your own napkins out of cloth!

www.uvinyl.com
www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

DWYHomemaking said...

So creative! Thanks for sharing!! :)

the cape on the corner said...

looks great! you're so talented!

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

BCraftie said...

Cute! I hope I have enough extra napkins (sarcastically)...

Sarah Ann said...

This is so so impressive! Love it!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

how gorgeous- you are so talented! Love them xx

Normal Daily Chaos said...

I love the idea, they turned out great.

greetings

Lisa said...

Amazing job! I LOVE the look of those. Definitely hard to beat the price too. I really have to jump on the drop cloth wagon..theres just so much you can do with them.

Melanie said...

They do look great and I love the napkin rings!

Rita E said...

Wow very creative! Can't beat the price of the drop cloth! Love the napkin rings, too.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Lisa...

Ooooh...your stenciled Christmas napkins are fabulous! I love the rustic, vintage feel of them! And...your number napkin rings look perfect with them! What a great project...thank you for the tutorial, my friend! You're right, these pretty napkins would make lovely Christmas gifts!!!

Warmest Christmas wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Patti's Artful Design said...

Just lovely! I've used painter's cloth for pillows and as upholstery fabric, so why not napkins?! Happy Holidays!

LouiseTheBlogger said...

Hi! I’m a new blogger and to get started, I’ve featured your Christmas project on my page. This is a great project! Thanks - have a great week!

Sam
http://samscrafthouse.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to this post in a round up today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) This will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-noel-and-joy-projects/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Peppermint_Patt said...

What a wonderful idea!
Saw you when you were featured on Moms by Heart's 100 Days of Christmas!

Heidi Szczepanski said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.