Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hand Stenciled Napkins

 

Napkin with Noel 018

I spent part of the day today working on these Christmas Napkins.  I am so tickled with the way they turned out!!  I made them out of a piece Painter’s Canvas Drop Cloth that I found at Lowe’s for a mere $5.00.  The price is hard to beat but I actually do love the way this cloth looks a lot like a rustic linen.  I was able to make 4 napkins and two tea towels out of one 4ft. x 5ft. piece.  Are you looking for an easy and inexpensive handmade Christmas gift idea?

Napkin with Noel 006

Here is how I made them.  I took a cloth napkin that I already had and used it as a pattern for the size I wanted.  My napkins measure approximately 19 inches x 19 inches.  I cut out 4 pieces of the Painter’s Cloth.  I turned in the raw edges approximately 1/4 inch on all four sides and ironed it down with a hot iron.  I then turned each side in again 1/4 inch and ironed in place.  I sewed all four edges down so that all my edges were finished with a double folded edge.  This gives you a neat edge. Ironing down all the edges really helped make the sewing part much easier and the edges neater.  Don’t skip this step!

 Napkin with Noel 007

I then stenciled the word “Noel” on each of my napkins using black craft paint.  To do this I carefully folded the napkins how I wanted to see them in the napkin rings and that is how I knew where I wanted to place my stencil.  I used a stencil that I purchased at Maison de Stencil but you could also use any alphabet stencil and then you could dip the eraser at the top of a pencil in some paint and touch it down to get the two dots over the letter “E” in “Noel”.   I also used some blue painter’s tape to help keep my stencil in place while I worked. 

Napkin with Noel 010

And don’t they look great with the number napkin rings I found at Pottery Barn last year?! :)

Napkin with Noel 028

I think I am going to get myself another piece of the Painter’s Cloth and make some more so that I have a set of at least 6 or 8 napkins.  I also made two tea towels that I can’t wait to show you.   I will be posting them soon!!  So stay tuned!

image

I am linking this post up to Make It 4 Monday Over at Cottage Instincts.  Stop by to see some more great ideas.

And I am linking up to Just Something I Whipped Up Holiday Style over at The Girl Creative.  More fun projects over there too!

And I am linking up to Thrifty Thursday over at Tales From Bloggeritaville.  Stop by for a visit there too!

35 comments:

Lynn said...

They turned out great-enjoy:@)

Kare said...

They look great! Definitely a project I'm going to give a try. Love those PB napkin rings too!!

Jane said...

The napkins are wonderful!! I love this project. You are the best at stenciling. Thanks for the link for the stencils too!
Jane

Marie@Procrastinating in Pink said...

Love the napkins! They would make a great gift!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love these, Lisa! Especially since I have those same napkin rings ~ they go so well together. Do you think the napkins would make it through the wash okay, or maybe try a fabric paint? You always find such great stencils to use!

Deserae said...

What a clever idea.....amazing what you can do with drop clothes :o) Love the stenciled words with the numbered napkin rings....very pretty!!!
~Des

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Lisa,
These look wonderful. You did a beautiful job. They remind me of something very expensive at Pottery Barn!

hugs
Sissie

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Great point Kathy...fabric paint to be safe. I think the regular paint is going to be fine but I'll keep you posted after I launder them.

Anonymous said...

These are so lovely! I never would have thought of using drop cloths for napkins but they are perfect for the job! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Those are so darn nice! They look straight out of a PB catalogue. :)

Kelly said...

Love these,they turned out perfect, great work! I loved those napkin holders when I saw them last year. I knew I should have gotten some, they look fantastic.

Jo said...

You are so clever!

I love this idea {why can't I think this stuff up} and am going to borrow it for our holiday table.

Jo

The Polka Dot Closet said...

They look so Pottery Barn! I love them, yu are obviously the queen of stencil what a great job!!

Carol

Tricia said...

Love these! They look great with the napkin rings :)

Flavia Galasso said...

These napkins are really beautiful.... Bravissima!!!!Ciao Flavia

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Love 'em, Lisa! Can't wait to copy your fabulous idea. I have lots of left-over pieces of painter's canvas from my chair recover. Thanks for the inspiration!

Karen said...

These are great!

Laura said...

Lisa-
You outdid yourself!
I want that stencil!
I am off to order it-

Laura
White Spray Paint

Brenda Pruitt said...

These are so pretty! And how economical is that? I think you must be the stencil queen. And thanks for the tutorial on how to make some for ourselves. Great look!
Brenda

Susannah said...

That is a fantastic idea! I love that you made your own napkins out of cloth!

www.uvinyl.com
www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

Marcie @ DWYH said...

So creative! Thanks for sharing!! :)

the cape on the corner said...

looks great! you're so talented!

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

BCraftie said...

Cute! I hope I have enough extra napkins (sarcastically)...

Sarah Ann said...

This is so so impressive! Love it!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

how gorgeous- you are so talented! Love them xx

Anonymous said...

I love the idea, they turned out great.

greetings

Recaptured Charm said...

Amazing job! I LOVE the look of those. Definitely hard to beat the price too. I really have to jump on the drop cloth wagon..theres just so much you can do with them.

Melanie said...

They do look great and I love the napkin rings!

Quiltpiecer said...

Wow very creative! Can't beat the price of the drop cloth! Love the napkin rings, too.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Lisa...

Ooooh...your stenciled Christmas napkins are fabulous! I love the rustic, vintage feel of them! And...your number napkin rings look perfect with them! What a great project...thank you for the tutorial, my friend! You're right, these pretty napkins would make lovely Christmas gifts!!!

Warmest Christmas wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Patti's Artful Design said...

Just lovely! I've used painter's cloth for pillows and as upholstery fabric, so why not napkins?! Happy Holidays!

Unknown said...

Hi! I’m a new blogger and to get started, I’ve featured your Christmas project on my page. This is a great project! Thanks - have a great week!

Sam
http://samscrafthouse.blogspot.com/

Amanda said...

Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to this post in a round up today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) This will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-noel-and-joy-projects/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Peppermint_Patt said...

What a wonderful idea!
Saw you when you were featured on Moms by Heart's 100 Days of Christmas!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.