Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Valentine’s Day Decoupage Subway Art

 

Valentine's Day Subway Art 029

Well, January was a complete blur!  And here we are in February already.   We’ve got the Superbowl just around the corner and Valentine’s Day in just a couple of weeks.  It’s been many, many, many moths since I pulled out the Mod Podge and so to try and jump start my creativity…which has been nearly non-existent as of late…I decided to make a piece of Subway Art and add a little something to my also non-existent Valentine’s Day decorations.  It’s not going to stop traffic or win any awards but it was fun to do.

Here is how I did it:

Valentine's Day Subway Art 001   Valentine's Day Subway Art 005

First, I put together a bunch of words that I associated with Valentine’s Day in a Word document.  Then I played around with the font and the size of the letters.  I printed it out and then…VERY IMPORTANT… I sent it to work with my husband to have it copied on a real copier.  Regular home printer ink will run when you put the Mod Podge on it.  You need to have a copy made from toner from a regular copy machine and then your ink won’t run.

Valentine's Day Subway Art 010   Valentine's Day Subway Art 011

I took a blank canvas that I had and applied several coats of bright red paint and then let it dry on the floor over the register.  :) 

 

Valentine's Day Subway Art 018   Valentine's Day Subway Art 022

Then I took out my scissors…my red scissors because it’s a Valentine’s Day project :) …and I did a twisty curvy cut around all the words and phrases.  Let your scissors do the work and move the paper with your other hand while you cut.    I applied a coat of Mod Podge to the entire canvas and then started to place all the cut out words and phrases on the canvas and went over them with another coat of Mod Podge and made sure every thing adhered well.  Let dry.  DONE!

Valentine's Day Subway Art 028 

Hmm, I just noticed on the 2nd line that “cupid” is folded over.  Augh!  Time to make a quick repair.

7 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

You shouldn't have said anything about cupid. I never noticed. Great fun project!! I love the red and black. I also like that you can do this for all the holidays.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Very cute and a great Valentine project. It would look great displayed anywhere.

hugs
Sissie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Cute idea. I love mod podge now.

Unknown said...

How cute is this? Happy Valentine's Day (soon anyway) :D

Flavia Galasso said...

I always love your ideas.... hugs, Flavia

Triad said...

Cute idea, Lisa!
- Rachel

Gail said...

What a great idea! Since I don't own a cricut or anything and wanted to make some subway art.Wow!Thanks for sharing.