Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kale Chips

New Camera Photos 015

Have you tried Kale Chips yet?  I’ve see them a lot lately on the web.  And since I am always happy to l try out a new and healthy snack food, I decided it was time to give them a try.  I found an easy recipe to follow over at Kath Eats Real Food and I picked up a bunch of organic Kale from the supermarket.

This was easy to make.  I lined a baking sheet with foil and preheated the oven to 375 degrees.  I washed the kale and tore it into small bite sized pieces and then dried it all really well with paper towels.  You want your kale to crisp up in the oven not steam.  So make sure you get it nice and dry before you put it in the oven.

I drizzled about 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over the kale and mixed them all together really well so that there was olive oil on most of the pieces.  I then sprinkled kosher salt over the kale and slipped it into the oven and set the timer for 7 minutes.  At seven minutes I checked on the kale and it was just starting to crisp.  I rotated the pan so it would all cook evenly.  Then about 3 minutes later I checked on it again and it was done.  You can tell when you can see the edges of the kale start to brown and it makes a scratchy sound when you shake the pan.  Out of the oven to cool and ready to serve.  Easy. 

The two biggest things to be careful of is to NOT over cook it.  It can burn easily if you don’t watch it.  And be careful not to over salt.  A little goes a long way.    Some recipes even add shredded Parmesan Cheese which I didn’t do but I think might be nice to try next time. 

Did I like the Kale Chips?  Surprisingly, yes I did.  And even more surprising was that my husband did too.  Give them a try.  They are about as healthy as healthy gets and they really do ”crunch” like a chip when you eat them.

8 comments:

Balisha said...

I have just started eating kale. My vegetarian daughter encouraged me to try it. Now our grocery and the ones in a nearby bigger town, are out of it all the time. They say they can't keep it in the store.I think that it has become so popular. I would like to try this snack...and will when I get some kale. Balisha

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I did a post about these a year ago... totally addictive!

:)
ButterYum

Unknown said...

That sounds interesting! I tried fresh kale (tore a piece off in the grocery store) and thought it was too bitter for my taste. But this sounds good. I make asparagus this way, with vinegar and oil on it.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I have made a lot of soup with kale and I'm anxious to give these chips a try. Thanks, cool idea!!

helen tilston said...

I like kale and love chips and this does sound like a better choice
Thank you for sharing
Helenxx

Marianne said...

As much as I shudder at "healthy" and "snack" in the same sentence, I'm going to have to try these!

Ti said...

I've tried Kale Chips before. They are surprsingly yummy!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I don't think I have ever tried kale in any form, but see it used quite a bit on various cooking shows. I would definitely like to give the chips a try. I just saw them sautéed up yesterday on The Chew in some olive oil and white beans with a splash of white wine served with pork. That sounded good too. Thanks for your review. I really must give them a try.