Saturday, March 30, 2013

Randomness

All the college kids in town are home on Spring break and home for the Easter weekend and I think all of the girls are out shopping with their Moms.  Count us as one of that pack.  Just got home from fighting the crowds.   It’s a little cooler than we would like but the sun is shining and shaping up to be a beautiful Easter holiday.  I hope you are enjoying your Easter weekend! 

Here’s my bit of randomness.  It’s been a while.  :)

1.  I’ve moved up to 4th place in our March Madness Basketball Pool. I am sure this will be the highest position I reach and will probably sink like a stone later tonight.   I unfortunately picked Miami to go all the way and they have since been beat.  Not sure why I picked Miami as I know virtually nothing about their team.  It was a longshot that won’t be paying off!    But Michigan won last night!  Sad to see Michigan State drop out though.   And I was kind of hoping that Florida Gulf Coast would end up taking it all…what a great story that would have been but it was not meant to be,   The best part of all of this is that our little niece is and has been leading the pack since the beginning.  And the top 6 positions are held by the ladies.  Girl Power rules!

2.  I use way too many exclamation points when I write.  I can’t help it!!!

3.  Making our dog Oakley’s dinner is going well.  I know this might seem a bit “Martha-esque” and honestly that is not what I was going for.  Last night she had leftover flank steak with some rice, green beans, and I tore up a bunch of spinach leaves into tiny pieces and darn if she’s didn’t lick her plate clean again! 

4.  I have the opportunity of getting a new and very adorable kitten.  I don’t know what to do.  The problem is I don’t really want another cat.  If kittens would stay kittens I would get three. 

5.  I absolutely cannot wait for the new season of Mad Men to start. Jon Hamm is on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine  and I love this quote:   Rolling Stone's Mad Men review raves, "Mad Men is the greatest TV drama of all time, and it's not even close.  Mad Men is to TV what The Godfather was to the movies.”  Yes!  Everything about it is excellent.  The characters, the casting of those characters,  the fashion, the set designs, the dialog, the wit and humor, the storylines and the way the personalities of the characters unfold and develop which are all the result of amazing writing.    And for a laugh, check out this list of 8 Mad Men Inspired Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Flavors.   And while I am at it, here is a link to 11 Reasons to Love Megan Draper on Mad Men.

6.  I made Banana Chocolate Chip Snack Cake this morning with some bananas that were past their prime.  The house smells good.

Green Onioins 008     Green Onioins 006 

7. It  really works.  You can  grow new green onions after you cut them down by putting the white bulb part with the mini roots in a dish of water and you will grow new onions.  I guess I already knew this but just never thought to bother with it.  But these scallions were cut down to the nub after using them in one of our favorite dinners, Coconut Shrimp from Jaden Hair’s Steamy Kitchen Cookbook and in just one week I have a new bunch.  Kind of like doubling your money and I like that!

8.   I am currently working on a rag quilt for my son.  The fabrics are gray’s, blacks, and more gray and black.  It will look great when it’s done and it’s very masculine looking but not fun to work on!  I need those brighter colors to keep me motivated to sew.  Been working on it since January and it’s still not done if that tells you anything. 

9.  Two new favorite songs are  “One Woman Army” by Kate Earl and “Ain’t Messin Around” by Gary Clark Jr.

10.  Quote currently on my kitchen chalk board: “Every time you are able to find humor in a difficult situation, you win.”

I like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started watching season 5, I believe, of MadMen on Netflix. Hubby leave the room since he just does not enjoy the show. I try to watch when he is in his office, but I really want to get through the season fast! LOVE that show!!

Oh, and your list made me laugh. :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

My hubby is doing a March Madness pool with some people from work. Not sure where he is at as of right now, the other night he said he was ahead. He knows nothing about basketball {me, too}, so there you go. All I know is it's messing up my television schedule! : )

The rag quilt for your son sounds nice. I know you like the brighter colors, Lisa, but just know how much your son will appreciate all your hard work. I still have your materials list printed out and off to the side. I have to get moving on making one. I think my granddaughter's will be first since she is moving into a big girl bed.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Happy Easter!! xx Holly

The Sabbatical Chef said...

I love your random-ness! You are amazing!