Thursday, May 27, 2010

An Education – The Movie

image 

One of the things that I love is finding a movie on Netflix that I unexpectedly love.  “An Education” was such a pleasant surprise.  It is set in the early 1960’s in England and is something of a coming of age film.  It was thoroughly enjoyable.

image

The look of the film, the clothes, the music, and most importantly the hair all made this picture stick in my mind and had me watching it a second and third time. Alfred Molina does a superb job of playing Jenny’s father.

image

Just look at those coats and hats.  Carey Mulligan, on the right in this photo plays the lead part of Jenny so perfectly.  And just as perfect in her role is Rosamund Pike the beautiful but a bit ditzy blonde in the white hat.  (Both of these actresses played the sisters Jane and Kitty in the Pride and Prejudice version with Kiera Knightly just a few short years ago.) 

image image  

The scenes in the bar were hip, the music jazzy the liquor was hard, and everyone smoked.

image image

Peter Sarsgaard, the only American Actor in the film, plays the part of David perfectly.  Mysterious, sexy, and a bit creepy in an immature kind of way all rolled into one.

image

Carey Mulligan plays the 16 year old Jenny so perfectly.  She might remind you of Audrey Hepburn, at least she did me…the clothes and hair might be half the reason why.  You can so easily believe why this older man takes such an interest in her.  Overall, I found it to be a really good film.  Worthy of my top ten list for this year…that is if I see enough films this year to even make a list.  And you can be sure and at the same time, sad to say… the majority of what I see won’t be seen in the theater.  I really need to do something about that. :)

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great film. Carey Mulligan first came to mt attention in a fabulous Dr Who episode, 'Blink'. Cracking actress.

Anonymous said...

I love the clothing of that era.... my mom used to dress that way too. So awesome. Thanks for the bit of review on the movie.. I may just have to watch this one.

DI

Allyson said...

Oooo thanks for posting!!! While I'm not a fan of "Mad Men", it's only because the insane amount of adultery that goes on in that show and really...do I need to see that, what with the imagination that I already have? But I love the clothes, the hair, the jewelry..OMG the jewelry...of that time. And we love to keep our Netflix queue full at all times. I just added it. ;) And open to other suggestions!

stacycakes said...

i loved this movie!!!

susan said...

Lisa-I love my Netflix and am always on the lookout for something to add to my que. This looks good. I just saw Grey Gardens (the movie) and have ordered the original documentary--can't wait for that!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I haven't been to see a movie in years. I find them too loud. But we get a movie from Netflix every week. This one will go on my list. Happy weekend!
Brenda

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Always looking for a good flick. Thanks for the review on this one, Lisa!

Melanie said...

I have never heard of that movie. I watched It's Complicated on Friday night and it was so cute. I loved it and I loved the scenery in Santa Barbara!