Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mah Jongg Ah, What????

Here is a copy of an email message that I recently received.

Subject: 11DD 111DDD 1111 (Any like Nos. Matching Dragons)
Dear Member:
Re: 11DD 111DDD 1111 (Any like Nos. Matching Dragons)


This hand is to be played 3 Suits as 2 Pair - 2 Pungs and 1 Kong.
In no way can a single exposure contain numbers and dragons together,.


NATIONAL MAH JONGG LEAGUE, INC.
Thank you for playing Mah Jongg!!
Please do not reply to this email. This email is from an automated system and you will not receive a response.=

Clear as mud. And as stated in the email, I am not allowed to ask questions or send a response! This makes as much sense to me as it does to you! Gibberish!!

But I did not let this deter me from hosting a successful evening of Mah Jong at my house last night. Hosting anything is a powerful motivator in getting me to deep clean my house. Even the baseboards got a once over in prep for this. We had a fun evening and I served a pitcher of this delightful beverage called Crantini’s. These are a lot like a Cosmo and easy to prepare in advance. They are not too strong nor too sweet and everyone seemed to like them.

Crantini's 021 Crantini's 025

It’s funny, because I was warned to make sure I had enough wine on hand because these girls like to drink their wine. The Chardonnay was chilled and I opened a bottle of one of my favorite Reds, Coastline Cabernet Sauvingon and there it sat all night. Not a drop of wine was drank! The pitcher of Crantini’s however, disappeared. Here is the recipe if you would like to try something new at your next gathering.

Crantini’s

1 Cup Orange Flavored Vodka

3 Cups Cranberry Juice Cocktail

4 Cups Sprite or 7-Up

Mix the vodka and Cranberry Juice in a pitcher. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Right before serving, add the 4 cups of Sprite or 7-Up. Pour into individual martini glasses and garnish with a thin slice of lime.

These are as pretty as they taste.

Crantini's 013 image

I also served Orzo Salad with Chicken and Feta. I made a double batch so that we would have lots of leftovers. I posted this recipe last summer. I highly recommend it. Another thing I served was a Brie en Croute. I have seen these before and it has been awhile since I have had this. I need to make it more often. It was very good.

Brie en Croute

Take a wheel of Ile de France Brie and pile a handful of pecans or walnuts on top along with a handful of brown sugar, some dried fruit like cherries or cranberries, and a few dots of butter. Then take a tube of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and unroll them into a rectangle and pinch all the seams together. Place the dough over top the Brie and tuck the ends underneath. (You could also do the opposite and set the Brie on top of the dough and then gather it up to look like a pouch. Some people get real creative and cut out shapes out of the extra dough like leaves and stars and “decorate” the their wrapped Brie. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 16 minutes. I served this with slices of French bread, crackers and sliced pears and apples. That’s all there is to it.

image image

I got my first Mah Jong last night. I guess I must be catching on. Not bad for my 20th game attempt. And the best part is I don’t have to host again for at least 6 more months!

12 comments:

Ann said...

I can't wait to try the crantinis

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

If you ever need anyone to play with ya'll...call me;)!

I haven't played in forever and I miss it!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Erin said...

Um, I don't know anything about mah jong, but if that's the kind of spread you have, I'm in. I'll fake it.

Denise said...

I'd have had a glass of white wine, but that crantini sounds lovely, might have to give that a try sometime (soon) ;-) Hope you girls had fun, I've never played Mah Jong with a group before?

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

Mah jong?? I have NEVER EVER heard of it! I would be willing to try my hand at it for the crantinis and food though! I'm always up for a party!! hehe!

RNSANE said...

This sounds great. I think I'd like to try ginger ale instead of the 7-Up or Sprite. I don't have a Mah Jong group but I might even do it for poker night ( we girls have one! ).

RNSANE said...

This sounds great. I think I'd like to try ginger ale instead of the 7-Up or Sprite. I don't have a Mah Jong group but I might even do it for poker night ( we girls have one! ).

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all.
I don't know much about Mah Jongg, but the food looks great!

hugs
Sissie

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Have always wanted to try Mah Jongg... how fun to throw parties and play!

Melanie said...

The drink sounds delish! I wish I lived close to you. I wouldn't want to play the game but I sure would come and visit with you girls! Glad you had a good time.

Karen said...

Looks like such a fun party. I really shouldn't have read this while hungry-the brie is making my mouth salivate!

Paris Pastry said...

By the looks of it, I'd say it was a pretty succesful Mah Jong party!! I'm sure the crantini's helped a lot ;)