Sunday, June 12, 2011

French Macarons with Mint Ganache

image

How pretty are these??? Did I make them?  No, not these but I have wanted to try my hand at making French Macarons for quite a while now and today was the day.

Marcarons Mint 016

Here are ones I made.   Not too bad for my first try.  They were not as difficult as I had thought but I can see how I need to get my technique perfected. :)  I even used a piping bag for the first time and I believe that all I need is some more practice .

I piped most of the cookies too big and they definitely need to be a more “petite” size.  Seems like the bigger ones were the ones that cracked.   But, on the smaller ones I was able to get the coveted “feet” and and the smooth tops like you see on real ones from a Parisian bakery.

Marcarons Mint 014

Next time, I will definitely pipe them a smaller size.   For this batch, I tinted them with green food coloring and filled them with a mint chocolate ganache.  So good!

Here is the recipe I followed for the Macarons:

Fine Cooking Magazine French Macarons

and here is the recipe for the Mint Ganache.

Chocolate Mint Ganache

1/2 Cup heavy cream

4oz. mint chocolate chips

1 Tbsp. butter

Heat the heavy cream and the mint chocolate chips in a sauce pan over low to medium heat.  Stir gently until all of the chocolate melts.  Stir in the butter.  Mix well.  Set aside to cool.  Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes to speed up the cooling.  Cool till the ganache is a nice spreading consistency.  Use it to fill your macaron cookies. 

My next attempt I’m thinking that lemon will be the next flavor I give a try. 

11 comments:

Lynn said...

Congrats! I'll bet they were great:@)

The enchanted home said...

I am so impressed!! What CAN'T you do? I bet nothing..this could be dangerous for me as I love love love macaroons and have no willpower around them..so ambitious for you to make them, they look wonderful!
Please stop by just announced today an amazing new giveaway, a gorgeous Kilim bench!

Gone Country said...

Mmmm! Sounds delicious!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Kudos to you on this one and as I always say...the bigger the better!!! Forget going small. :-D
And thanks for stopping by over the weekend.
M.L.

Anonymous said...

I'd eat them. Great first attempt and I'll bet they tasted great!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I think yours look great! I'm sure they were delicious. Thanks for your kind comment on my 'chocolate' coffee table!

The Sabbatical Chef said...

I love them!! I have to admit that my favorite French macarons came from the market in Arles, from a local baker, and not from the fancy shops in Paris. I suppose that just shows that I am a country girl at heart, even in my would-be French heart... I plan to practice them this summer, too.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

They look good to me. I have never try making macaroons either, but would love to give it a try. The idea of biting into the cool mint has me anxious to try.

Tee said...

Hey chickie! Just wanted to say you're the best kind of bloggy friend a girl could have. Hope you have a great weekend and don't eat too many macarons! Save one for me will ya?

Bring Pretty Back said...

Lsa, My mom's bday is next week and I think I will make these for her and her friends for a little get together! Thank you for sharing!
THANK YOU so much for your comment on Sandy being on the radio show. And THANK YOU for listening!! THANK YOU!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Patty Marker said...

They sound as good as they look. I love chocolate and mint. They look very complicated but worth the effort.