Friday, June 19, 2009

Bruschetta


Every one's got to start somewhere. So why not with an appetizer??? My good friend told me these were fantastic the other day and I have to admit.....they are very good! Since my introduction into the fascinating world of cheese I have learned one thing. There is no substitute for Parmigiano Reggiano. These are not only delicious....they are beautiful to look at. I think using a "Microplane "Grater for the Parmesan is key. It gets the cheese so fine and it falls like snow over the whole platter. I will someday post a photo as soon as my daughter teaches me how to upload!! Enjoy this one...it is fabulous!!

Bruschetta

1 package of french bread toast rounds. (or you can get a skinny french baugette, slice into mini round, and toast them in the oven. I used to do this but always seemed to burn them. The plain french bread toasts are so much easier!)

6 plum tomatoes, diced
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
4 or 5 fresh basil leaves, roll up and slice into ribbons
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated (the stuff in the green can is okay too :) )
Mix the all the ingredients except the Pamesan cheese together in a bowl. Then take the Microplane Grater and run it over the Parmesan cheese and add to the bowl. If you don't have a Microplane grater a regular one is fine. (And actually, the Pamesan in the tall green can is fine and I have used it in a pinch.) You will add approximately 1/4 cup of fluffy cheese. Mix it in. Set the french bread toasts on a platter. Spoon a bit of the tomato mixture on to each toast. Take the Microplane Grater once again and grate the Parmesan over the entire platter. Buon Appetito :)

No comments: