Saturday, July 4, 2009

Oakley




When it comes to our dog and her affections....there is a pecking order. And I am last on her list and it makes me wonder why? I am the one who gets up early in the morning to let her out to pee. I feed her. I walk her most of the time. I let her stop and smell all the other dog's pee that traveled before her on our walk route. My husband doesn't have as much patience for that as I do. I let her linger. I make her peanut butter Milk Bones as a treat and give them to her when I leave for work. And it is me who gives her the deep tissue massages that make her drool. Still, I am very low on the totem pole.

Her name is Oakley and she is a 3 and 1/2 year old Golden Retriever. She always looks like she is smiling, hardly ever barks, likes to dance on her back in the grass in the sun, and is infatuated with our son. He is her pack leader, her alpha male, and the object of her affections. I am just the hired help in her world. My husband ranks 2nd on her list with our daughter 3rd and I pull up the rear. I can live with this I guess because I really don't have any choice in the matter now do I? I know that she loves me in her own doggie way but come on Oakley....Throw me a bone!

No comments: