Sunday, April 11, 2010

I Love the Weekend and It’s Only Half Over

Spring Garden 004

I love the weekends and so does the dog.  (Yes another photo of Oakley…couldn’t resist this one.)  She’s too cute.

Spring Garden 005

We started off on Friday night watching our son’s Lacrosse game against a rival team who beat them pretty badly the last time they played.  This time they still got beat but not nearly as bad. 

Spring Garden 024

Then on Saturday, we dusted off this beast.  And I do mean beast.  My husband bought this for me a few years ago when we saw it sitting at the end of someone’s driveway with a “For Sale” sign on it.  The intention was to help me with my vegetable garden.  This thing is so heavy and powerful that I can’t manage it.  And my husband who is a big strong guy gets a huge work out when he chooses to battle it. 

Spring Garden 022

The weeds and especially the Bermuda Grass are overwhelming.  I HATE BERMUDA GRASS!

Spring Garden 035   Spring Garden 033

While he battled with the Tiller Beast, the dog and I surveyed the other gardens.  I love these white Bleeding Hearts.

Spring Garden 032   Spring Garden 038

Everything is coming up nicely.  We moved 5 clumps of yellow Lilies from the first garden here off of the deck out to the area under the bird feeder.  I haven’t had much luck getting much to grow there because it gets so much shade.  But I am hoping these super hearty Lilies do well there.  There were getting to big for the first spot we had them in so a move was made.  A good friend of mine dug up them up from her yard for me a few years ago when they moved to a new house closer to town.  She wanted to make sure they went to a good home.

Have you ever moved and dug up plants from your gardens to take with you???

12 comments:

Donna said...

Of course! I took hosta, Rose of Sharon, flox and iris's. I wish I could have taken more but it was March 07 when I left Pittsburgh and the ground was frozen solid. I wish I could have taken more but I'm glad I do have some plants. I miss my bleeding heart and peonies!

Donna said...

. . . make that …phlox - white and purple!

Unknown said...

Your plants are beautiful. I love how there are so many different kinds of flowers and plants. Everybody has their special plant, that means so much to them. My family has a special connection with daffodils. We trade them and document them, and plant and replant. Enjoy your lilies!

Karen said...

It's funny, but as much work as gardening is, I always find it enjoyable. We rented a beast like yours to create flowerbeds-you are right, they are really hard to control. I'm afraid even my husband had a hard time managing the monster.

Karen said...

I have done it a little differently--I have a "friendship garden"--I take things that my friends don't want or can't take with them when they are moving. last Spring, my 30 yr. old single male neighbor across the street was going to cut down a weeping jade tree that I LOVED--got to see it every day--so I ran over and told him to stop and I would take it! So we got a few guys to dig it out and transplant it where we lost an oak (due to a storm). My bro-in-law has a horticulture degree from MSU and he helped me keep it alive. We are now waiting to see if it will bud. Peter says a few more weeks--he is convinced it lived. Me--not so much. I also got a few rose plants from my friend who just moved to TN. One is doing well, the other not so much. And ALL my raspberries were from Trish--she didn't want any more red ones, only the black ones. I just keep collecting...

Denise said...

I love seeing pictures of peoples gardens right now because I'm so busy in mine too:) Looks like you're having a wonderful weekend, ours is a long one this week with no school tomorrow - yay :)

The Invisible Seductress said...

I am in love with your dog!!!! I am glad you are having a great weekend!! And I love the bleeding hearts too!!

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Love that tiller beast! I need one of those! I have moved flowers when we moved. Our first house was actually my husband's grandparents house. We bought it cause it was his grandparents house. His grandmother loved to garden. When we moved I transplanted her iris', lily of the valley and tiger lilies to this house. It was like bringing a part of them with us.

Try some Sweet William in the shady area. A very pretty low growing plant that loves the shade!

Melanie said...

I sure did! My Angel's Trumpet, pink day lilies and a several cannas made the trip. I had to smuggle the sweet potato vine, because the hubs battled it every time he mowed {and because I love him, I keep it only in containers}. I bet your lilies will look great there! ~ Melanie

Melanie said...

It is looking good. I can't wait to get out and plant some things and get my front porch all prettied up.

I haven't ever dug anything up but when we move from this house, I am taking my foyer light, dining room light, and kitchen light. I am tired of leaving stuff that I love behind. LOL!

Enjoy your Sunday.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Sounds like you got a lot done this weekend, Lisa! I too hit the outdoors this weekend, although I'm doing little bits here and there. I just don't have the youth to be killing my back and then getting up for the day job Monday morning. I am pleased with the two beds I got weeded in the front {before it gets out of hand} and I put down some Preen.

If the weather holds out nicely this week, I'll try and do a little more each evening after work.

Have you tried ferns in that shady area? They usually love shade and also hydrangeas usually do pretty well in the shade. Just a thought in case the other doesn't work out.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed seeing your busy weekend! I've only dug up plants in the same house to give them a better location. I LOVE your thought for the day!!! It made me smile. Have a great rest of the weedend!