Sunday, April 11, 2010

Re-Cycled and Numbered Flower Pots

Flower Pots 016

Yes, I came up with another way to incorporate my infatuation with numbers and the colors of Black and White into my home! And when I come across an idea I like…I tend to beat it with a stick!

Flower Pots 034 Flower Pots 031 Flower Pots 002

We continued to work on the small garden area off our deck that we mulched last weekend. Today, we went over to New Garden Nursery here in Greensboro and picked out 3 Boxwoods to plant. After my husband got them in the ground I decided to try and recycle the plastic pots they came in. So I took one of my many cans of Rust-o-leum Black Spray Paint and I painted them, careful to cover up the “Monrovia” logo on them. Two coats later I was ready to start stenciling. I used Folk Art Acrylic Paint and the color was #515 “Vintage White”. The stencils that I used came from www.maisondestencils.com.

Flower Pots 006

These pots turned out so much better than I had expected! While we were shopping at the nursery I also picked up three pots of Lavender that I was going to plant near my garage. Well these re-cycled pots turned out so cute I decided that I would plant my Lavender in them and see how they do. If they get too big for these pots later I will simply re-plant them.

Flower Pots 012

My potting bench needs some attention this year. The sun has baked it over the past few summers and the paint is starting to lift off. We painted it black for a big party we had a couple of summers ago and used it as a bar and drink area. Usually in the Spring I use it for what it was intended…potting plants. Then after that re-potting is all done we scrub it down and then use it for serving food and drinks when we are out on the deck. (See my bright orange garden shoes…me and Mario Batalli baby!)

Flower Pots 011

So what do you think about my little re-cycling project?

Flower Pots 015

You just know I’ll be making more of these. :)

Flower Pots 028

After re-potting the Lavender into the new pots I moved them out to the front porch steps. It gets lot’s of sun in the late afternoons and evenings.

Can you see the “Bienvenue” (Welcome) stone I made peeking out by my garden frog? I am sure you will see that one again too. :)

Like I said before…when I come up with an idea I like….I run with it.

I am linking up with Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps on the Porch.

And I am linking up to the DIYShow Off.

I am linking up to Tales From Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday as well.


30 comments:

Unknown said...

I say keep it up; these are totally awesome!

Nancy

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Well now aren't you the clever one!
What a great idea and they look good too. Can't wait to see what you number next.

hugs
Sissie

micah said...

oops you did it again! love your stenciling skills!

Malisa said...

Wonderful idea! I need some new pots for my front deck right now and now I know the perfect thing to do! Thanks!

Malisa

Melanie said...

You do love numbers! I sure wish that you would make me some things and send them my way.

Good job!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the pots and the Bienvenue sign, Lisa! Was that a stencil, too? I may paint some of my existing pots this year just to freshen them up. Did you use paint specific to plastic or just any paint?

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I used a regular black spray paint for this project. (Rust-o-leum) So far it's been sticking to everything I've tried to paint with it. Also, the "Bienvenue" stone that I did was done with the letter stencils I ordered from
http://www.stencilsonline.com/alphastencils.html

Tammy@InStitches said...

I really, really like these. Looks like they came from Ballards.

Allison Shops said...

Great job! They look so nice.

Unknown said...

those look great! great reuse of an item that someone else would waste. come visit me and enter my very first giveaway to win a pottery barn giftcard and some of my creations @ www.barefeetonthedashboard.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

What incredibly beautiful blog you have! My compliments!

A footprint from Agneta & Sweden

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Ingenious! I love it!

I have stacks of nursery pots just like that in my garden shed. Feeling guilty about adding more plastic to the landfill, I just hang on to them. NOW I can get creative with them thanks to your inspiration.

Today's going to be a busy day . . . :o)

Anonymous said...

I love your numbered pots! Also love your potting deck!

Kathy

Karen said...

Great way to go green-no pun intended!

Unknown said...

Too cute! I love all your stenciling work - and there's nothing wrong with running with a good idea... as long as you don't take it too far (aka, painting numbers on your lawn, for instance.). Love it!

Judy @ In His Grip said...

I am so going to do this! They look great

Annie Joy said...

Your numbered pots are great looking! A friend and I have agreed (after looking at some of the creations at a "painted pot" party): The secret to painting pots is knowing when to stop!

Love your ideas! Annie Joy

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I can see cascading flowers down these lovely pots now!

Ann said...

I love it!

Brenda Pruitt said...

You're on a roll, girl! They're beautiful! Lavender likes lots of drainage, so you might lift it off the bricks a tad with something under it. I never had luck with lavender until I put some in a fairy garden. It likes dry feet.
Brenda

Karen said...

I really LOVE the "Behave" sign! LOL!

Jane said...

These are wonderful. I love those pots. Thanks for the link for the stencils!
Jane

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

Shut.Up. I wouldn't have even bothered with those pots.. but look how clever you are! These are fan-freakin-tastic! Can't wait to see what's next....

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

Love those... thinking it would be cute to do the same with the names of each herb. I might have to try this!

Roeshel said...

I love these, Lisa! Great job!

Thanks so much for sharing in the DIY Project Parade! I'll be including a link/pic to your post in this week's DIY Project Parade. Feel free to grab the "I'm Featured" button. :)

Roeshel

Here On Crow Creek said...

I luv your pots! They look awesome! I am a new follower and I love your blog..NC girl to:)

ClassyGal said...

Great look girl!

Unknown said...

L.O.V.E! I am so inspired! Now I have to go look at the rest of your blog!
~Bridgette

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Those are so cute, what a great idea!

sherri @ The Junkin' Chick said...

LOVE, LOVE this idea. I live in Jamestown and love New Garden Nursery as well. I am definitely using this idea to decorate outside.

Sherri @ The Junkin' Chick