Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Painter’s Cloth Pillow

 

 Goodwill Desk and Pillows 013

I have been wanting to try to see what I could do with some painter’s cloth that I picked up at Lowe’s Hardware.  You know how I love to stencil on to burlap, well, I wanted to try the same thing with the painter’s cloth that I have seen on so many other other blogs and websites.  People have been making curtain panels and table cloths etc…with them and I thought I would try and recover some pillows.  The painter’s cloth worked great.  It was easy to work with and has that Shabby Chic look to it that I really like. 

Pillows and Geraniums 006   Goodwill Desk and Pillows 024

I found these not so attractive pillows at the Goodwill not too long ago and after making sure they were clean and had no smell to them, I purchased them for $2.49 each.  The painter’s cloth package that I picked up had a nice piece that was 4 x 6 foot and it only cost me $4.99.  I cut out the cloth about 2 inches wider on all sides than the pillow I was cutting for so that I had enough room for my seems.  After stitching them together on all sides and leaving an opening to insert the pillow, I turned it right side out and after putting the pillow inside I hand stitched it closed.  I haven’t sewed a pillow in I can’t tell you how long and I can’t believe that I remembered how to make a ruffle!  It’s sooooo not perfect but good enough for me.  I am thinking that I might have to look for an Eiffle Tower stencil.  I need something tall to put on this one. 

Goodwill Desk and Pillows 013

For this pillow I decide to put “Thank You” in French on it.  I did learn the hard way that it would be MUCH easier to stencil a design on to the painter’s cloth BEFORE sewing and stuffing the pillow.  (also FYI…I did not pre-wash the cloth because I like the stiffer feel when it comes out of the package.  It does have a strange odor…but I have to say that disappears.  I made the pillow a couple of days ago and there is no smell at all right now.)  This pillow was already stuffed when I added the stencil and it wasn’t easy my friend! (Next time I will try to stencil before I sew.)  The paint didn’t cover as well, but you know I actually like how it almost looks faded and makes the pillow look older.  Happy accidents…don’t you just love them?!

13 comments:

Karen said...

I could see a stenciled design on one of these too. Did you see the drop cloth canopy that was stenciled at Pure Style Home? The design she used would work well on a pillow and go perfectly with your style. (There's a picture on my post from last week about alternative sources of fabric.)

Unknown said...

I like them! Even tho you thought you should have stenciled first and then sewed them together, they still turned out great. Good job!

Nancy

Jackie McGuinness said...

Great idea!! I'm thinking of making one, but I'm thinking how I could put images of photos I've taken while travelling on the cushions?? I have a perfect shot of the Eiffel tower that I would love to make a cushion with.

Jackie

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great pillows, Lisa! Yes, I think an Eiffel Tower would look great on your ruffled pillow and keep the French theme.

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I love how your pillow turned out. Oh, and I love me some painter's cloth as well. That stuff is great, isn't it? So far I've covered a chair and made window valances from it.

What a great find in that stuff, right? Although, we best keep it's wonderfunessl as quiet as possible - shhhh . . . The manufacturers find out we're all using it in home dec projects, they just might be inclined to jack the price up on it!

Jennifer said...

Hey Gril - good ideas! Did you know that Goodwill has sites to buy things online too - online auctions! My friend has bought quite a few cool things... also see if you have any Habitat for Humanity Restores by you! Keep in touch, Jennifer jennsthreegraces

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

I am going to start referring to you as the stencil queen! They look great though! Nice job!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Very pretty and a great idea.

hugs
Sissie

Brenda Pruitt said...

Yes, I do love those happy accidents. I think it looks fantastic! You need to start a stenciling business.
Brenda

Dena Pickle said...

I love this, it would go perfectly with the pillows I made and posted
today!
dena
sweet pickles and chocolate

Debby said...

They are fabulous, how cool, never thought of using painter's cloth.
debby

Melanie said...

You are so crafty! I love it. I just like to decorate. I like to cook and bake too. I am just not really crafty. I am enjoying all of your projects!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love the pillows you made. I am going to try my hand at that soon now that I am trying to sew again.