Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chocolate Mint Cupcakes for St. Patrick’s Day

St. Pat's Cupcakes 051

Top O’ The Mornin’ To You!  In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I came up with these quick and easy cupcakes using a chocolate cake mix, some homemade frosting because I try to avoid canned frosting whenever possible, and a box of Junior Mints.

St. Pat's Cupcakes 054

They’re very refreshing!”   ~ Cosmo Kramer

St. Pat's Cupcakes 045

Mix up a batch of chocolate flavored cupcakes from your favorite mix and add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Peppermint Extract.  Bake as directed.  

St. Pat's Cupcakes 008

While your cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting.  As I said I like to make my own frosting mostly because it tastes better and because I would rather know that I am eating butter in my frosting than shortening or lard or some of those other things they add that are hard to pronounce.

St. Pat's Cupcakes 051

Here is the icing recipe I used.  It is a simple vanilla frosting recipe and I liked it because the flavor didn’t overshadow the mint cupcake.  You can really taste the mint in these cupcakes but the mint is not overpowering.  They have a delicate mint flavor and the vanilla icing on top finishes them off  nicely. 

Vanilla Frosting

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)

3 cups of Confectioner’s Sugar

2 Tbsp. milk

2 tsp. vanilla extract

Paste Food Coloring  (I used green of course for St. Pat’s Day.)

Whip the butter till smooth and creamy.  Add the Confectioner’s Sugar one cup at a time.  Add the vanilla and the milk.  Add the paste food coloring.

Dip a tooth pick in the coloring paste and mix it in little by little until you have the color icing you looking for.  You can find paste food coloring at any cake supplies store or any craft store like Michael’s in the cake decorating section.  (Be careful with it…it stain’s everything it touches!)

St. Pat's Cupcakes 051

And don’t forget to put one Junior Mint candy on the top of each of cupcake.  Very Cute and delicious!

St. Pat's Cupcakes 041 St. Pat's Cupcakes 046

And while I have your attention.  Which cupcake would you rather eat???

I just love the new Reynold’s  Stay Bright Baking Cups that you can now find in the baking aisle in the grocery store.    The insides of these cups are made of foil and because of that the outsides of the cups stay nice and bright.   I think the cupcakes bake up nice and even  with them too.    And it makes them even cuter!  They cost a little bit more but sometimes cuteness costs money!  They are well worth the investment.  :)

9 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I can taste the mint just looking at these little beauties. Junior Mints are a nice touch.

Anonymous said...

They look delicious!

Lynn said...

I noticed how great your papers looked right away! I'll keep my eyes open for these cupcake liners! Love chocolate and mint:@)

Rey said...

"And the rest of the day to you!"

Love this idea and I love the stay brite cupcake liners. They are worth the extra money. I am going to tuck this away for future use! Thanks for the recipe!

Melissa Miller said...

Junior Mints are one of my all time favorite foods...ever. They look so good. Is it bad I want to eat the entire tray full? He!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

These are adorable, I love the Junior Mint touch, how clever! Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a recipe for St.Paddys Day! This one looks good.

Tree said...

Hi there! I found your blog on Extreme Personal Measures, and I love your projects! I'll be back again. Following you now too.

Tree said...

Oh... and meant to say... these cupcakes look AWESOME!