Thursday, March 17, 2011

Stenciled French Tray

French Tray 008

I had some fun with this one!  I have been on a roll with stenciling lately.  When you are in the mood you’ve got to go with it.  Right?  And if it can be painted…it can be stenciled too! :)

French Tray 170

I found a hard plastic tray at Goodwill not too long ago at Goodwill and only paid .99 cents for it. 

 French Tray 142 French Tray 146 

And just as I started to spray paint it with some Rust-o-leum American Accents Black Spray Paint, I realized that I hadn’t taken a photo of it yet.  Painting came to a screeching halt as I ran for the camera.  But there it is.  I always seem to have good luck finding trays at Goodwill in different shapes, sizes and some made of wood and some not.  Surprisingly, the black paint adhered to this hard plastic tray just fine.  It took about 2 coats and I let it dry in between coats.  Then I used bits and pieces of some of my French stencils.  I took the Paris address part off of the custom stencil that I have been using lately on some of my most recent projects.

French Tray 156  French Tray 162 

I’ve had the Fleur de Lis stencil for a long time and I’m quite sure I found it at Michael’s Crafts.  And the number stencils came from Maison de Stencils.  And I used some white craft paint and a stencil brush and it was done.

French Tray 147

Can’t wait to use this to serve drinks out on the deck as soon as the weather gets warmer.  :)

13 comments:

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I love it, it's beautiful! The next time I go to Goodwill I'm going to look closely at the platters!

Denise said...

Love it! And I love the little garden markers in the previous post too... and I love the cupcakes :)
Happy St P Day!

Lynn said...

Drinks on the deck... *sigh*... We had temps in the 60's today in Philly, 75 tomorrow! Bet you could put that pretty tray to good use then:@)

Unknown said...

It turned out so cute! You do such a good job stenciling.

Nancy

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Haha! Just as I said in my post, Lisa ~ you are the stencil Queen in my book! You know I love this and how you used more than one stencil for the look. I think that feeling goes with lots of things. Like sewing; once I'm sewing I want to continue, so I try and line up all my projects at once.

Laura said...

It looks wonderful!
I have been trying to locate french looking stencils-
thanks for the link.

Enjoyed visiting,

Laura
White Spray Paint

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Looks great! Thanks for the inspiration!

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

That is so cute! You have given me an idea for my back patio. I always see these trays but never thought of painting it. Clever girl!

Susan said...

I LOVE THAT!!! There is a part of me that wants badly to stencil...ever since I made the pottery barn vintage typewriter keys thing.

I just need to BEGIN!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
That is a great transformation! I have got to order some of those number stencils!! Every time I see one of your stencil projects I say that and I keep forgetting. I'm going to visit their site now! But not before I tell you what a great idea your repurposed garden markers were too. Two great projects.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Jane

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I really like this tray. You do wonders with them.

Do

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I don't think I'll be passing up those "not-so-attractive" metal trays at the GW anymore! Thanks for the inspiration.

Ally said...

I just love how you see something at Goodwill that the rest of us would just cruise on by, you bring it home and make it something wonderful! You should also buy some stock in spray paint. ;-D The tray turned out awesome. If you are serving drinks on it, will the condensation from the drinks affect the paint job or will it hold just as it is?

Also, I LOVE the scarf video that you posted. I didn't get a chance to comment on it, but I did watch the video over lunch yesterday and will keep those in mind when I'm at GW in the future. The scarves are SO fun and funky and no sewing?? That rules!!