Monday, March 7, 2011

Scarf from a T-Shirt

  Scarf from T-shirt 018 Scarf from T-shirt 011

I saw this scarf posted on Tidy Mom’s blog this morning and knew I had to make one.  So in between checking on my cheese counters today, I pulled into the Salvation Army store in High Point to get me a couple of T-shirts.  I decided to go with gray and was happy to only have to pay $1.50 each for the two t-shirts I picked up there.  As soon as I got home, into the washing machine they went with a little bit of bleach added just to be sure :).  As soon as they came out of the dryer, I went to work.  So EASY!

Check out The DIY DISH to see some more photos of other completed scarves like this one:

image

Scarf from T-shirt 003Scarf from T-shirt 004

AND if you are a visual person like I seem to be, and you decide to try and make one of these for yourself, I found the video of the morning talk show segment that demonstrated exactly how to make one, to be very helpful.  Go here to STUDIO 5  and watch the video…it is well worth the time and it makes this project so simple to do.     

Here is my condensed version of how I made mine.

1.  Take a plate about 9 inches in diameter and set it on top of your T-Shirt and cut out 8 – 10 circles.  Get the largest T-shirt you can find or get two of the same color. 

2.  Cut each of your circles into a spiral.

3.  Pull each of your spiral with one end in each hand.  This will cause your strips to curl and the edges will roll.

4.  Set all of the strips on top of each other and then with a small strip of leftover T-Shirt material, tie all the pieces together in the center and pull it tight.

NO SEWING PEOPLE!!

Scarf from T-shirt 021

It’s kind of Anthropologie-esque don’t you think?  :)

13 comments:

cleverlyinspired said...

Love this!!! Shared on fb! Super cute!

Jane said...

What a great scarf for this time of year! Thanks for the instructions. I've got a pile of t-shirts I was going to give to GW....not now!!
Jane

Lynn said...

Really turned out cute-enjoy:@)

Melanie said...

That is the cutest thing! I love the no sewing too, especially since I can't sew. HA!

Donna~One Simple Country Girl said...

Wow! It looks great! I may have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing! I used to live in the High Point/Thomasville area. I miss it. :(
Hugs,
Donna

JMJE said...

I like this a lot. I think I might attempt to make one. Or two.

{northern cottage} said...

ahhhh...I love it and soooo gonna make one....now I'm on the hunt for a big ol' t-shirt (I bet hubs has some that he won't even notice when they go 'missing'!)

so glad you stopped by for a visit!

Gail said...

Oh My Goodness! I just love it.....hitting the thrift store today! thanks for sharing:)

Judy said...

From one North Carolina blogger to another -- very very cool!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I saw this and thought it was a great idea!
I am a scarf luveir!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Lisa,
Thanks so much for this neat idea...my daughter will love it.

Blessings,
Linda

René said...

I saw this the other day & didn't leave a comment. This is one clothing related project that I think I could do. So cute & I have plenty of olD tees waiting to be transformed.

Anonymous said...

How cute and creative! Love it! xo