Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hand Stenciled Lazy Susan

Lazy Susan 014

My custom ordered stencil from Maison de Stencils arrived today!  A few weeks ago I mentioned that I loved a French graphic  that The Graphics Fairy made available so much that I decided to have a stencil of it made so that I could make a few projects with it.  Well, here is the first.    I have had great luck finding real wood Lazy Susan’s at Goodwill.  I picked this one up a quite a while ago for $3.99.  A bargain. 

 Lazy Susan 007

I sanded the entire piece and wiped it down with a clean dry cloth and then taped the stencil securely to the Lazy Susan after I placed it where I wanted the design.  Then with some black craft paint I stenciled the design onto the piece.  I have the best luck getting crisp and clean edges with no paint smudges by pouncing the stencil brush up and down on the piece.    Then my favorite part of the whole process is peeling away the stencil.    

Lazy Susan 002Lazy Susan 012

And of course I had to give it a spin.  Just me getting artsy with the camera in the second shot :)

Lazy Susan 018

    Now, here is where you have to be careful.  The stain I used was WAY TOO DARK!!  Next time, I’ll be sure to use a MUCH lighter stain.  Although I have to say, the stain definitely gave the Lazy Susan the look feel of it having been around for a 100 years or so….Don’t you think?  :)

Lazy Susan 032

And here is with the dark stain finish.  I have two more wood Lazy Susan’s out in my garage from past trips to Goodwill.  My next attempt will be with a lighter color stain.  How about you….are you a dark wood kind of person or do you like the lighter shades? 

I am linking this post up to Thrifty Thursday over at Tales From Bloggeritaville. And I am linking to Frugal Friday over at The Shabby Nest, and Tickled Pink Fridays over at 504 Main.  Stop by for more projects.

13 comments:

Ti said...

Looks awesome! So pretty, too.

Just curiois, but have you ever visited Paris? Since you love all things Paris I just thought I'd ask :)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Wow! I love it! I think the dark stain makes it look like it came from an old oak wine cask! Great job! What's your next project?

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hi Lisa! Love your new stencil and what a great idea to put it on the Lazy Susan. I think one of the stores has something out in the catalogs, can't remember who, but I'm sure it's ridiculously priced and I saw one at Tuesday Morning a few weeks ago. I don't know that they spin though. I think these would look great on a wall, propped up on a counter {as you might do with a platter} and of course, using it as you have pictured. Very versatile piece!

Holly Lefevre said...

I love that stencil and oh my I love this project! I must try this - lazy Susan's are quite the steal at Goodwill. Thanks for sharing.
Holly
504 Main

Melanie said...

I love the stencil! I think a lighter stain would show the stencil up better:) Just my two cents;-)

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Wow so neat. I am a light wood kind of girl, but I love the look of this lazy Susan and wouldn't change it at all. I love how it looks charming and slightly old. Wonderful job.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Lisa,
I think it's beautiful! The stencil design that you chose is so pretty and perfect for the board.

hugs
Sissie

Erin said...

Oh I love it! Gotta do this with my lazy susan (which looks a lot like yours did). And I think the dark stain looks great.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! i love this idea! i need to try it! what a wonderful gift idea! thanks for sharing! i want to see what else you do with that stencil!

Gen said...

Great job on the lazy susan it looks just like one my future mil just bought from tuesday morning

Laura H. said...

Any idea about the safety of the stain and paint coming into contact w/ food? I love this, but want to be safe. THANK YOU.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Hi Laura, I don't really know about the safety part. I am cautious with it and I do not cut on it and I place either parchment paper or paper doilies under any food that I might place on it.

Little Miss Maggie said...

Hi there, visiting from Maison de Stencils. I love your project. FYI, next time you think your stain is too dark, just take a wrag with some mineral spirits and wipe it back. You will be amazed at how much you can back off the stain or another tip is to mix your stain with a little bit of mineral spirits in a jar and them dip your wrag and stain your project. Both are a great way to control the darkness. I thought your project came out great just the way you did it. Reminds me of an old wine barrel.