Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cosmopolitans

I was late coming to the Sex and the City party. We were too cheap to get HBO and we lived with basic cable until just 3 months ago so I caught up on the show through my Netflix subscription. But that is the show that seems to get all the credit for putting Cosmos on the map...I mean the menu. Not sure where or when I had my first Cosmo but I am hooked and it is a favorite. I am not a huge liquor drinker and have no trouble when it comes to this recipe for a Cosmo. That can be a good thing and a bad thing if you know what I mean. The recipe belongs to my neighbor and he shall remain nameless but he deserves a huge amount of credit for coming up with this drink that is neither too sweet and not too strong. It is tart and refreshing and pretty to look at. I'll admit that it is a bit of a girly drink but I have known some of the men to partake once in a while. These are best made one at a time in a shaker filled with ice but I have made them by the pitcher before as well. Just keep the proportions the same. So if the recipe says 1 shot of vodka, 2 shots of Cranberry, then equate that with 1 cup of vodka and 2 cups of cranberry. Make sure your vodka is ice cold. We like Absolute Mandarin Orange Vodka for these and keep a bottle in our freezer at all times. You never know when you will have to pull it out for a deck or patio emergency and don't forget lots of fresh limes.

Cosmopolitans

1 shot of Absolut Madarin Orange Vodka (from the freezer)
2 shots of cranberry juice
1/4 of a fresh limes
Fresh lime or orange garnish

Fill a shaker with ice. Add the vodka and cranberry. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the shaker. Shake and pour into a martini glass. Garnish with a small wedge of lime or orange.

No comments: