Monday, August 31, 2009

Floating Umbrellas

It is raining here and it is a dreary day. So this photo seemed quite appropriate. The photo is from the Artist Trey Ratcliff who takes amazing photographs using a method called HDR. I have no idea what that is but expect to find that out very soon. (My guess is that it would be"High, Definition, Resolution" ....I let you know when I find out.) Amazingly, Trey Ratcliff is blind in one eye and he is the first to have a HDR photograph hanging in the Smithsonian. I love his blog site where he says he strives to post a photo a day. His photographs are amazing and I just love this one of the floating umbrellas. It was taken in Las Vegas at the Venetian Hotel.

Edit: Okay, I am back later in the day to add an edit with some more information on this incredible photographer and his work. First off, I found out that HDR Photography means "High Dynamic Range Photography". And here is a quote from Trey explaining how it works:


"The way it works is you take multiple pictures of the same scene; let's say five photos, all at different shutter speeds,” said Ratcliff. "The quick shutter speed only lets in a little bit of light; the long shutter speed lets in a lot of light; so that you end up with these five photos at various light levels. The software stacks them all on top of each other, takes out the extreme brights and the extreme darks, and leaves you with this impressionistic hinterland that's somewhere betwixt."

For the complete news story about Trey and to see an interview with this amazingly talentend, kind and generous photographer visit: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/Unique_type_of_photography_hits_Austin

His pictures are just incredible!

4 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a beautiful photograph...so colorful! I noticed the cafés on your sidebar and I would rather be sitting there, too! Happy week!...Debbie

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Wow! Thanks so much for the link. I know I will love the blog!

Absolutely gorgeous photo and I am curious about HDR!

Stacey said...

Very neat photograph. Some people are just so talented, aren't they?

~Country Lady~ said...

Awesome photograph. Thanks for the site. Have a blessed week.