Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mah Jong

So last night was my fourth time playing Maj Jong and I can still say with a high degree of certainty that I still don’t know what I am doing!    But everyone has been very nice to me.  I am beginning to think that new recruits are not easy to come by and so they are being extra nice so that they don’t scare me off.  They are all oozing with patience.    Right now the group plays every other week.  That is a big commitment but so far,  come the 2nd week when it’s time to play, I am usually ready to try again.  The food is always good.  And of course wine is always served.  And the stakes are low in that we are only playing for quarters…and of course bragging rights. 

image

The Maj Jong women are slowing sucking me in to their circle.  They are plying me with their wine and kindness.  I’ve been talked into ordering a new playing card for the 2010 Maj Jong season.  I’ll bet you didn’t even know that Maj Jong  had a “season”.  Everyone plays from the same card which is a sheet that lists all the possible tile combinations you need for a winning hand.  New cards are issued to start on the first of April and then everyone in the country starts playing the hands off of the the new card.  Kind of like a Bingo card only with Chinese characters. Yeah, and really easy to read and comprehend. Not!  I have been asked to host the group at my home on May 10th.  Now hold your horses…I mean your bamboo.  I haven’t even decided yet if I am going to officially join!  They all just smile at me when I say that.  It’s like they know something I don’t.   (I think I might be joining a cult…If I disappear…send in a de-programmer.)  Thanks. ;)

And don’t forget!  I am having a Giveaway this week.  Be sure to enter by Friday, February 26, 2010.  Click on the icon on my side bar near the top of my page for more details!!  Good Luck!

9 comments:

Jane said...

I unfamiliar with Mah Jong. Have fun!!
Jane

Georgia Girl said...

Never heard of this...time to go google and see what it is all about. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

When I was a child, my mom played in a weekly group. I never learned the game, because she stopped playing when I was older. I have fond memories of trying the food that she would serve, when it was her turn to host. I was then locked in my room...okay, not literally, but I was told to stay in my room while they played, and I listened. Wow, that brings back memories.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this before, so I learned something new today! Enjoy... :-)

Anny said...

LOL how dare they be kind and nice!? It sounds like a pleasant way to spend an afternoon though :)

And nope - I had no idea it had seasons!

Brenda Pruitt said...

We might have to intervene and come get you out of there!
Brenda

Joyce said...

I have played Mah Jong but not in the past 10 years. I was not very good at it and do not remember winning very much but I always found the food and friendship of the evening fun. Just relax and enjoy the game and sooner or later it will all come together. I have to smile as I remember I thought the passing at the beginning of the game was the most confusing for me for some reason:) and not the Bams or the winds:)
Joyce

Melanie said...

I have never heard of that before but I can tell you that I would never get it. I never got cards after all these years. At least there is good food and wine:)

Karen said...

I've played "mah jhong solitaire" online, but never with others. When you come to MI next or when I get there, you will have to teach me. :)