Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday ~Are You Ready For Some Football???

bruschetta 002

To tell you the truth, I don’t really pay attention to pro football.  (I like College Football much more.)  It’s a miracle that I even know who is playing this year.  New Orleans Saints and the Indianapolis Colts right???!  Actually, the only reason I know who is playing is because we were invited to a Super Bowl party and I didn’t want to look like an idiot so I brushed up on my knowledge.  I like the the Super Bowl more for the commercials and the food than I do for the actual game.  My favorites are those E-Trade Talking Baby commercials.  How funny is that baby who spits up or calls the golfer a “shank-a-potamous”???!!  And who stays up till the end of the game anyway????  And while I am at it…..if you ask me…why is it played on a Sunday when everyone has to get up early the next day to go to work and school anyway?  Kind of takes all the fun out of it forcing everyone to behave so that they can be functional the next day.  The “powers that be” need to change the game to a Saturday night and then I might pay attention to the whole thing!

So the big and more important question is WHAT AM I GOING TO MAKE FOR THE PARTY?????

Beer Cheese Spread is always a good option but I need something new and more exciting……

Water chestnuts wrapped in bacon in a brown sugar and ketchup sauce in the crock pot is a possibility…although it’s been done before, it is always well received.   (Will post this recipe on another day when I can find it)

Well…I thought about it long enough and I decided that to bring a platter of Bruschetta. 

When I started blogging back in June of last summer, my first post was this recipe for Bruschetta.  It’s delicious and easy and I think it tastes like summer and I could use a little summer after all this cold, snow, and rain.  Here you you…and have fun at your Superbowl festivities and may the best team win…whoever that might be! 

Bruschetta 
1 package of french bread toast rounds. (or you can get a skinny french baugette, slice into mini round, and toast them in the oven. I have to be careful when I do this not to burn them!  The plain french bread toasts if you can get them are so much easier!)
6 plum tomatoes, diced
1 clove garlic, pressed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
4 or 5 fresh basil leaves, roll up and slice into ribbons
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated (the stuff in the green can is okay too :) )

Mix the all the ingredients except the Pamesan cheese together in a bowl. Then take the Microplane Grater and run it over the Parmesan cheese and add to the bowl. If you don't have a Microplane grater a regular one is fine. (And actually, the Pamesan in the tall green can is fine and I have used it in a pinch.) You will add approximately 1/4 cup of fluffy cheese. Mix it in. Set the french bread toasts on a platter. Spoon a bit of the tomato mixture on to each toast. Take the Microplane Grater once again and grate the Parmesan over the entire platter. Buon Appetito :)

7 comments:

RNSANE said...

Sounds delicious...I am not that into football though two of my sons played in high school and one continued on into college. Like you, I prefer college football, as well. I will root for my home 49'ers and I'll cheer for the Saints today. I went to nursing school 45 years ago in New Orleans and lived there for for four years after - many of my classmates still live there.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looks soooo good...enjoy the BIG game and GOOOOOO SAINTS!!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oh, is that who's playing in the Super Bowl? Haha... if the Steelers aren't in the game, we don't pay a lot of attention to it (Hubby's team. I could care less).

The kids and I watch for the commercials and half time. Might not even bother this year.

Anyway, your Bruschetta looks wonderful.

:)
ButterYum

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Yummmmm! I am like you. I cold care less. But I live in a house with 3 boys who do, so I know by association.
WOuld love to be your guest and EAT THAT!!!!
Yum!!!


Hey, another thing we have in common. OUr kitchen counters. !

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Sorry for the spelling errors and missing words etc...in this post! My husband was waiting in the car to head to the party when I posted this so I was in a wee bit of a hurry.....not enough editing!! We are back now.....it was actually an exciting game! Congratulations to the Saints!!

Melanie said...

My husband LOVE that commercial with the baby talking about golf. That one is his favorite. I like that one and the one where the girl calls him and he says "can I hit back?" Too cute. What did you think of the one with the girls being added to it?

kanishk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.