Friday, February 5, 2010

Southwest Chicken Soup

clock and soup 016

It’s cold here.  It snowed again last night.  It was sleeting while I was drinking my pot of coffee this morning.  (Yes, I did say “pot”.)  Right now, we are experiencing freezing rain.  And I live in North Carolina.  This is not supposed to happen here… at least not two weeks in a row! My son went to school only 1 day this week and that day had a 2 hour delay….all because of the weather. The roads are not safe.  My husband is working out of the house today.  The local news reported that a salt truck (and probably the only one in the county) is in a ditch!!

I have no alternative but to stay home, read blogs, drink coffee, bake cookies, and make a big pot of soup!  One of my blog friends, Melanie, at Southern Comfort in a Northern Life,  blogs about her move from sunny Florida to the Kentucky/Ohio area where the snow has been a relentless and much worse that what we have had.   She and her family did the opposite of what we did….she moved from the South to the North and we moved from the North to the South…..I can so relate to that experience!!  It’s not easy!  Anyway, we both like to spend the snow days cooking and baking.  How about you?  Do you hunker down and break out the flour and sugar or the soup and stew pot??:)

Today is good day for another pot of soup.  I made a big pot last Saturday when we were snowed in and we worked on it most of the week.  We are having a Deja Vu kind of weekend so I am pulling out the soup pot one more time.

This one is tasty and it’s good for you! 

Southwest Chicken Soup

1 medium onion, diced

1 small red pepper or half of a large red pepper, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp. olive oil

2 cooked chicken breasts, pulled into pieces ( I use leftovers or Rotisserie chicken from the market)

2  32 oz. containers of chicken stock

1 can of navy beans or great northern beans, rinsed

1 can pinto or light red kidney beans

1 can of black beans, rinsed

1 can of corn

1 can or bottle of beer

4 squirts of Worcestershire sauce

1 packet of Taco Seasoning Mix

Black pepper

 Clock and Soup 008

(And don’t forget the chicken…like I did when I took this photo.) :)

Saute onion and red pepper in the olive oil till soft.  Add the beans, corn, and chicken, black pepper and garlic to the pot.  Add the chicken stock, the beer, Worcestershire Sauce, and the Taco Seasoning mix and stir all together.   Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and let simmer for about an hour.  (This can also be done in the crock pot.)   This is a very forgiving recipe.  If you like corn, add another can of corn and  maybe another can of beans.  If you like, add some green pepper.

To serve, add some crumbled up corn chips to your bowl and place some shredded cheddar cheese on top.  I also like to serve this with Cheddar Corn bread.  Enjoy!2010-02-05 Clock and Soup 

(I just love playing around with Picassa’s Collage application!)  I am adding this post to Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum.  Lot’s of great recipes…Stop by!

15 comments:

welcometomyfrontporch said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I love your blog! Love the ideas you did to make "trash" into "treasure". Amazing what a simple can of spray paint can do isn't it? Nice to "meet" you...

The Fajdich Times said...

Your soup recipe sounds wonderful. I live in the Chicago area. We are expecting snow this weekend. Soup sounds like the answer for another snow day meal. Have a great weekend.....maybe go build a snowman:)

Allyson said...

Oh Old Man Winter HAS been relentless here in KY. It's been so bad, I sent my husband to his HR dept this week to see when he can "retire" so we can move south (at the ripe age of 32). Preferably Key West...I don't think they get snow there, right? Or freezing rain? I'm so over it.

I make this soup a lot, but thicken it up with tomato paste so it's more like chili. Top it with some sour cream and Frito scoops and Yummies! Sounds good for tonight, actually.

Btw, I got my first Ballard catalog in the mail this week. I ordered it after seeing your stools and your props to the design company. So in love and SOOO ready to start...ahem..borrowing ideas. :)
Thanks!!

Melanie said...

Thank you sweet friend for the shout out:) I laughed out loud when you said "pot of coffee." Sounds like me. I love me some coffee.

Our snow has finally arrived and your soup sounds delicious on a dreary day like today. You know that I have all the ingredients to make it. That is all I study...food and painting.

I was going to comment about how you had gussied up your blog with your food pictures and then you said something about Picasa. LOL.

Have a good weekend.

Pam @ Frippery said...

Sounds delish. My mouth is watering!

Barb said...

Hi Lisa, goodness, this looks so delicious!!!!!

Barb

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

This looks and sounds wonderful. I think I'll incorporate your recipe into my own homemade chicken soup. Should be a winner!

:)
ButterYum

My Slice of Heaven said...

This sounds looks and sound just delicious!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I wish you lived in my house- your food looks so tasty!

~Country Lady~ said...

Oh my.....I can just taste this through my computer screen. Your pics are fantastic! The soup sounds divine! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Beth at Aunties said...

Oh this sounds so good! And healthy. I wan to to make it tomorrow:*) We are getting snow tonight. But then we expect a ton of it (Utah) in Dec-Feb.
Our son lives in VA and they have never seen anything like out there.
We get 18 inches and life goes on as normal here. HA! They keep shutting down everything!
Stay warm and cozy and I hope all is well with your hubby.
Thanks again for the yummy recipe.
~♥

小小 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brenda Pruitt said...

This looks delicious and would certainly warm the tummy. And so appropriate for these kinds of days. Thankfully we rarely get snow in East Texas. I think snow is beautiful, but so hard to deal with when you're going out. Enjoy your cozy home and spoil yourself doing exactly what you love!
Brenda

KimMalk said...

This looks divine and easy. I have been on a soup "kick" lately as I have had a cold. Fortunately, I live in FL, so "cold" here is in the 50s.

kanishk said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.