Friday, June 25, 2010

Farmer’s Market

 

   image

I am headed to the Farmer’s Market today.  “It’s time to make the donuts”….I mean It’s time to make the pickles.  My garden is not producing the cucumbers I need this year.  Mostly because I haven’t planted them yet!  I tried to grow them last year and ended up with strange looking and bitter tasting cucumbers that make me believe there are some serious soil nutrient issues going on.  And I don’t have the energy to try an “fix” it.  And besides, the Farmer’s Market is so much easier and more fun.

image     image

I have been working like crazy over the past couple of months and I am finally taking a day off!  Wish I had bigger plans than I do but somehow I think I will enjoy my day and I’ll start it off (after many leisurely cups of coffee) with a trip to the big Farmer’s Market.  There was the cutest mini Farmer’s Market near where I live in Summerfied that was open every Saturday morning  and I loved to zip up there and get my tomatoes and gorgeous “country” flower arrangements for my house.  But I am sad to say that the Shop “Dwelling” who hosted the market is closing it’s business and so too the Farmer’s Market is no more. :(

image

So I guess it’s back to the Piedmont Triad Farmer’s Market in Greensboro…the “Big” one for me.  I am looking for perfect pickling size cucumbers and some great tomatoes since my plants haven’t started producing quite yet.  I have lot’s of green ones but they haven’t turned red yet.  I might pick up some green beans and whatever else looks nice.  Oh, and today is Blueberry Day….need to get some of those too.  And a bouquet of flowers would be nice to have for the weekend.    I’ll let you know what I find. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad to hear of the closing of a store and the loss to the community of the Farmer's Market. We have 2 Farmer's Markets here in Roanoke as well as a fresh veggie Country market within a few miles. They are all my favorite week-end places.

DI

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

I an across your blog and I'm your newest follower. I think I gained a couple of pounds just reading your posts!! Love your blog and look forward to getting to know you better. Have a great weekend:)
~Mary

House and Garden Boutique said...

Nothing like a good Farmer's Market! We have one that started here in Woodstock, GA (burbs of Atlanta). I'll post some photos the next time I go. Love your photos!

Denise said...

I am finally getting some cucumbers but they are tiny right now. I did pickle some last year which turned out pretty good, I'm hoping I can do the same this year but no biggy if I can't.
Love that chocolate cake below :) Have a great weekend.

Jane said...

I hope you enjoyed your morning at the Farmer's Market. I just love wandering around a Farmer's Market...they are always so full of color.
Hope you found the cucumbers and tomatoes.
Jane