Thursday, September 17, 2009

Junkin' at the Goodwill

I did some junkin' at the Goodwill earlier this week. Didn't find much in the way of furniture. I am looking for a bench for my hallway to re-do or possibly a long narrow table. I keep telling myself to be patient! In the meantime, I found these three little treasures and the grand total of my bill was $8.05.







I needed a mini watering can and this one was especially ugly. No problem! I have American Accent Rust-oleum Smooth Satin Finish Fast Drying Spray Paint in Heirloom White!! I have been asked where I found this paint and I have seen it at Michael's, Lowe's, and Hobby Lobby. Two quick coats and it was done.
Here it is before....




And here it is after!

I am still working on the little nautical wood box and should be able to show you it finished sometime this weekend.


In the meantime, let me show you what I think is my favorite of the three.....the wood utensil holder. Yes it was a wee bit dated, but it was very sturdy and I had several ideas for this one. I pryed off the plate in the middle with the country blue geese on it and then scraped the glue off of the back.



Then after wiping it down I gave it a coat of Kilz Primer. This saved me from having to sand off the finish.





Next step after the primer dried was to give it a couple of coats of black spray paint. Then I glued the plate that was covered in geese back on the box after giving it a quick spray of Heirloom White paint and letting it dry. I love the how the white label looks on this box. I am not sure yet if I want to write something on the lable like maybe "Les Couverts " which is French for eating utensils like forks, knives, and spoons or maybe I will just put "ETC... " on it. I might just leave it plain. I have to think about that.



TRASH TO TREASURE BABY!

6 comments:

~Country Lady~ said...

Small items that say wow in a HUGE way!! Great job. Love what you did with them. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great finds, Lisa! I love them with their new paint colors. Can't wait to see what you do with the box.

akawest said...

Fun finds! Good luck on finding a bench or narrow table.

Hunter and Hailey's mom said...

Like you I had been searching for something narrow to put in my entryway...I found my little narrow table at Ross for $30....beats the $220 I saw for another one I liked online!!!!!! I had all my stuff lined up on the lawn 2 weeks ago armed with my heirloom white....my husband just shook his head and kept walking!!! great projects!!!

joyh82 said...

Very nice. I love the little white watering can.

Room to Inspire said...

Love the finds and what a great transformation! That box is super cute...I will be checking in to see what you do with it!

Chelsea