Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Snow and Peppermint Crunch Cookies

Christmas Cookies 005

It snowed all day yesterday and the schools let the kids out 3 hours early. Big fat snowflakes came down for hours and it’s beautiful! Looks like we got between 6 and 8 inches which is a huge amount for around here…and the dog loves it. :) Christmas Snow! We don’t mind snow this time of year since it makes it feel more Christmas-y and it’ll all melt in the next few days anyway. But it is still very cold outside and trying to drive anywhere around here today would be downright dangerous! So I’ll be making a big pot of soup today along with these Christmas cookies.

I made a batch of these last week and they are so very good. Peppermint Crunch Cookies! They were completely gone in 2 days. I used the same recipe that I used on the Mint Chocolate Delights that I posted a few weeks ago. Switching out the baking chips in the recipe made such a different but equally tastee treat! :)

Christmas Cookies 007

The “Secret Ingredient” to these great cookies are the Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips. (This recipe is NOT on the back of the bag.)

Peppermint Crunch Cookies

2 Cups of All Purpose Flour

2/3 Cups of unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 Cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

2/3 cup granulated sugar

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 large eggs

1 10 ounce package of Andes Crunch Peppermint Baking Chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in small bow. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Drop by well-rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and centers are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Christmas Cookies 002

Try one of these with a hot cup of coffee or an ice cold glass of milk. And these are good enough to leave out for Santa! :)

7 comments:

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Looking at the photo of the cookies here in my post I think that the next time I make them I will melt some white chocolate and drizzle it across the tops. Would that look AND taste good?!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Since we're seriously snowed in here, and I was planning on spending the day baking so I think I'll try these. Don't have those candies . . . think crushed candy canes will work? I'll definitely do the drizzled white chocolate. Thanks for the tip and recipe!

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

These do look super yummy. What about dunking half the cookie in white chocolate? I am definitely on the hunt for these. I have a cookie recipe that I usually crumble up candy canes for.

Unknown said...

What a GREAT!!! and YUMMY!!! cookie recipe. I love the combination of chocolate and peppermint.
Geri

RNSANE said...

The cookies sound great. I don't think I've seen these Andes baking chips, though!

Melanie said...

I found the dark chocolate chips w/ mint at Walmart. I bought two bags but I haven't used them yet. It snowed here yesterday about 2 1/2 inches. It is only the second time that we have seen snow. It's funny....it has snowed all around us and missed us. It is all over the ground today too. Stay warm.

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Our second batch of these cookies we did melt the white chocolate chips and put them in a zip-loc sandwich bag,snipped a tiny bit of the corner off and drizzled the white chocolate over the cookies. They were beautiful!! This is the way to go if you want pretty cookies!