Sunday, December 20, 2009

Hand Painted Christmas Ornaments

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 029

I saw these ornaments a couple of days ago at Pandora’s Box and loved them. Patti did such a great job on them and I love the color combinations she used so much that my daughter and I did the exact same thing. We needed a fun and somewhat easy craft for the First Year College Student because she wanted to make something for her friends. With all the snow that came down we weren’t going anywhere so the timing was perfect as we spent most of the afternoon and evening indoors and painted these funky Christmas bulbs. She surprised me with her painting skills, patience, and talent! :) We personalized each one with an initial. We made 3 “K”s, 2 “M”s, and an “A”, and I think they turned out great!

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 003

I stopped by “Michael’s” early in the morning before the snow started falling for my supplies. I found a box of white Christmas bulbs on sale for $3.99 which was half price. You can use any bulbs you might have on hand and Patty over at Pandora’s Box used clear bulbs. Here are the “Delta Ceramcoat” paint colors that I used: Lime Green, Black, Fuchsia, and Magnolia White. ($1.39 each). I picked up a Sharpie Pen but ended up not using it (will explain why in a minute! ) I found some cute ribbon also half off at $1.50.

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 007

First step was to paint each bulb with the Lime Green paint. We used chop sticks to suspend over some glasses so that the bulbs could dry. (It took 3 coats to get solid coverage.)

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 011

Then we painted round polka-dots with the Magnolia White. (It took 3 coats and a slanted brush worked best for the circles. We made the white polka dots approximately the size of nickels.)

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 013

Then we painted pink polka-dots inside the white circles. (The pink polka dots were about the size of dimes and also required 3 coats of paint.)

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 024

After all of the polka dots dried, we painted on the initials free-hand with black paint. My first bulb I thought I would save time and use a black sharpie pen. It looked great until it came time to spray on the sealer and when I did all of the black Sharpie ink began to run!!! :( I had to make a new one after all that work was ruined!!

Warning: DO NOT USE A SHARPIE PEN ON THIS PROJECT AND IF YOU DO…..DO NOT SPRAY WITH A SEALER!!!

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 026

After all the initials dried, I used the round end of the chop stick to paint on the white polka dots by dipping the end of the chop stick into the paint and then touching it on to the bulb. Find something small and round for this step, the end of a pen, the end of a chop stick and I also used the end of one of the paint brushes. I also dipped a larger round end in the black paint at all of the end points on the initial. We then sprayed each bulb with a clear sealer to protect it and to give it a nice sheen. Than AFTER the sealer dried I used a fine tip Sharpie pen to write the year 2009 on the bulb. (Do not spray with sealer again or the date will run!)

Christmas Crafts - Bulbs 014

We tied each bulb with a cute pink ribbon and they are ready for delivery! I saw some cute individual ornament sized boxes at Pier One Imports that will be perfect for these. I also think that those cute Chinese Food Containers would also be a cute means of delivery for these as well. And my daughter came up with another good idea. The individual cup cake boxes that you can now buy (I think they are made by Wilton) would also work here and be the perfect size for these. After the roads clear and the snow starts to melt it should be safe driving so that we can get some Christmas shopping in and get our boxes. Thanks to Patti at Pandora’s Box for posting these ornaments on her blog. This project saved us from wandering aimlessly store to store looking for a little something for my daughter’s friends. She is so happy to be able to give these as gifts!

I am linking this post up to Make It For Monday over at Cottage Instincts. Stop by won't you?!

17 comments:

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Cute as can be...did I see a K for Kathy ?...MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!, xoxo~Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

How cute...you girls did a beautiful job with these ornaments...I must try to do some after the first of the year! Merry Christmas!

Blessings,
Linda

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

These are adorable and I love them!! The colors are great!

We NEVER get snow! Admire it for me :)

Merry Christmas!

Lou Cinda ")

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

These are so cute! Thanks for the tip on the Sharpie marker. Dollar Tree had gift boxes that would probably work for these, too {and I would think most of the dollar stores do, too}. Great little gift idea for friends!

Janna said...

These are adorable and I'm sure her friends will love them!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Lisa! How cute is that! I love the colors, too! You ladies did a great job! Merry Christmas!...Debbie

cindy said...

Those turned out just beautiful and the recipients will love them! Those had to take tremendous patience...good on ya!

Thanks for joining the party :)

Jess said...

Love the polka dots!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

the polka dots are my favorites.... Blessings to you and yours....Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with many blessings.
Teresa
Grammy Girlfriend http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
and
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Those are so colorful and fun. Nice job!

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW! Lisa they are really precious. Love the initials and the vibrant colors.

Merry Christmas! ~Melissa :)

glor said...

Love those colors. You did a great job, what a happy present to give and to receive.

Carrie said...

Love it! I am SO not the painter! I saw your comment on the Triad Smarty Pants. I have seen your blog before on other craft linkys... and you did my cookie exchange. but I had no idea you lived in Gboro! Are you a TM? Come back and visit Little Llamas soon!

I especially LOVE the vintage ornaments!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

These are so darling! I love the pink and green together and the polka dots..love! Happy Holidays!

Donna said...

I just bought 12 glass ornaments for 82¢ and some paint - can't wait to customize these babies for gifts. Such a great idea

ceebee said...

nothing like your own handmade ornaments.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Your ornaments came out great...aren't they fun to do? I love to doodle and make projects that can be completed in a short time!!