Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Retro Red Magazine Candle

Noel Candles 011

Retro Red Magazine Candle

Many, many years ago I remember a Christmas decoration that my Mom made and I just loved them. She made a set of Christmas Carolers out of folding what I think were old Reader’s Digest magazines. They were so cute and I always remembered them and thought that one day I would try and make them for myself. Then one day not too long ago I came across a project on a blog somewhere…forgive me not remembering the site I saw it on…but she used this same magazine folding technique and she made a pumpkin. That started me thinking about making something for the holidays and I came up with this candle. (If I get good at this I might try and reinvent the Christmas Carolers one day. :))

And here they are all finished! I am so happy with the way they turned out.

Noel Candles 006

The smaller candle that I made was assembled using two “Prevention” magazines. I like this size magazine because it is short (like me) :) I also made a second candle out of the taller “More” magazine and I used two of them as well. ( used a Brazil nut on the smaller candle for the flame and on the larger candle I used a walnut.)

Here is how to make one for yourself.

Supplies Needed: (for one candle)

2 of the same size magazine and both should have approximately the same number of pages.

Tacky Glue

Spray Paint

Brazil Nuts or walnuts (you want your nut to look “flame-like”

tooth picks

Gold metallic craft paint

paint brush

Step 1: Start by folding the front and back covers in to the spine of the magazine. Then at the front of the magazine start folding the pages into the spine lengthwise so that all the pages are folded into the spine moving in the same direction. Fold both magazines this way.

Noel Candle 002

Step 2: I used the Tacky Glue to attach the spines of the magazines together and the entire front and back covers together so that both magazines were joined and I had a nice complete cylinder. I used chip bag clips to pinch the magazines together or you could secure it with big paper clips. ( I encourage you to use Tacky Glue because it is strong enough to hold this together. Feel free to use a strong “crazy” glue as well. Let dry completely.

Spray Paint 009

Spray Paint 011

Step 3: Spray paint your candle. Let dry in between coats. Don’t worry if you still see some of the print. That is part of their charm!!

Spray Paint 022

Step 4: Paint your Brazil or Walnuts with gold metallic paint for your “flame”.

Step 5: Drill a small hole in your Brazil or Walnut so that you can insert the toothpick or floral pick in it. (I actually had to drill the Brazil nut but the Walnut let me push a tooth pick into the bottom without drilling.)

Step 6: Put some Tacky Glue on the length of toothpick that will be inserted into the nut. Push the toothpick into the nut. Let dry.

Step 7: Insert the tooth pick with your painted nut/flame into the center of the top of your candle.

Step:8 Embellish if you wish. I added a ribbon around my larger candle and added a gift tag to my smaller candle.

Noel Candles 014

I think I like the smaller “Prevention” magazine sized candle the best. The “More” magazine candle is huge! It would be a good size if you needed something big and tall for maybe on top of a bookcase or cabinet. Either size though is really cute. Looks very retro to me.

I am joining Transformation Thursday over at The Shabby Chic Cottage. Stop by for other great projects!

22 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

These are really neat, Lisa! You really took me back though. I remember when I was a kid, my friend's Mom made Christmas trees out of her Reader's Digest books. Not sure if it was one book to a tree or not.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

LOVE it! I saw the ones that look like pumpkins but this is even cuter!

Manuela

Kammy said...

I love them !
Great job....
Kammy

Melanie said...

How cute are these? You are so crafty. Maybe I will soon be able to do some things soon. You are a busy lady:)

Shanade said...

Those are gorgeous! I might have to try this.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

These sure do bring back lots of great memories...thanks for sharing them!

Blessings,
Linda

RNSANE said...

I am amazed that you find the time to do something like this during the busy holiday season. They turned out beautifully! What a great project to do with older children!

susan said...

These really are a blast from the past! I think I made these in Girl Scouts! Thanks for stopping by Deck the Halls. Your nativity is beautiful and a real deal! I can't imgagine anyone parting with it. I hope you will come back for Deck the Halls next Tuesday!

Karen said...

Very cute. I like the smaller one too--I think the brazil nut looks more flame like.

Stacey said...

Well what a cute idea! :)

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Oh sweet! I think I remember those. I'm sure it wasn't my mom making them - she was not crafty at all. Thanks so much for sharing!

Donna said...

This is just too cute! How creative. I remember making angels when I was young with Reader's Digest magazines.

Sherri said...

I LOVE this idea!!! Simple, ADORABLE and recycled!

Unknown said...

What a smart idea! I've never seen anything like these... and I can see using it in different ways, too. Thanks for joining!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Very cool! I'd never have guessed what it was made out of!

Room to Inspire said...

Very creative - I love these. I am going to have to try to make one for sure.

Chelsea

The Stylish House said...

Lisa,
This is very cool, and the nuts on top are so clever!
Cathy

KimMalk said...

I remember those folded crafts. Nice job reinventing them.
@cheapchichome.blogspot.com

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

Ahh I just saw a segment on the Martha Stewart show today where they did something like this. I must say I like yours wayyyy better! Love the read and the little finial on top.
http://domesticprincessintraining.blogspot.com

gina said...

This is one of the most unique Christmas crafts I've seeen in blogland. They look great!

Emily said...

SO cute! I've seen these made with old books, but painting them red looks awesome!

prayn4peace said...

Wonderful idea! I was looking up old magazine angels or carolers and found your blog... my mother passed away a few months ago and I remembered her making the magazine angels and spray-painting them gold when I was a child. I thought for this next Christmas I'd love to make them as decorations and gifts. And will do your candles too! Thanks again.