Monday, December 7, 2009

Decoupaged Vintage Ornaments: A Gift For The Girls

Bunco Ornaments 010

A GIFT FOR THE GIRLS. The Bunco Girls. All 12 of them!!

Here is what I have been working on in my spare time lately. ;) I am planning to give one of these ornaments as a Christmas surprise to each of the “girls” in my Bunco group. Our big end of the year Bunco Christmas Party is later this month but I wanted to get these finished beforehand. Bunco is another one of those things that I was introduced to when I moved to the South. If you are not familiar with Bunco it is a dice game. It’s pretty mindless and easy to play while chatting, eating treats, and enjoying a cocktail. :)

There are 12 of us in our Bunco group and I think that only one of my Bunco girlfriends knows that I blog so I feel pretty safe showing these to you. I want them to be a surprise and I am hoping that this post slips by the one member of my group who does read my blog!

Bunco Ornaments 018

BUNCO: THE EARLY YEARS

The idea came to me when I first saw this vintage photo somewhere online and loved how all the girls in it looked. When I counted and saw that there were 12 girls in the photo, the idea hit me to do something with it for Bunco since there are 12 of us in our group. I decided on putting “Bunco: The Early Years” on each ornament and then had fun deciding which “Bunco Babe” got to be which “Vintage Babe” in the photo. :)

Bacon Eggs Candies 005

Supplies Needed:

Canning jar lids and rings: (use wide mouth lids and rings for larger ornaments and pint sized lid and rings for smaller ornaments) I needed to use the Wide Mouth larger sized lid and rings because I had a lot of names to fit on the photo of the 12 vintage ladies. ( A box of 12 cost me $4.99)

PHOTOCOPIED image: if you use words…photocopy them too!!!!! Now is a good time to use your jar lid as a gauge for how large your image needs to be. Make sure it is going to fit in the size of your jar lid. You do not want your image to be too large or too small.

Spray paint: I used American Accents Rust-o-leum Heirloom White

Mod Podge: (I used the original Mod Podge…I experimented with the extra glossy formula but I did not like it…looked too thick to me.)

small paint brush

Tacky Glue

Red ribbon for the hanger: ( I also added a red/white striped ribbon around the edge of each ornament)

Sharpie Permanent Ink Pens: (I used a red sharpie to write Merry Christmas 2009 on the back of each ornament and used a green Sharpie to draw some holly leaves)

First I found a vintage photo that I liked and I printed it out. Then I had it photo copied as many times as I needed for the number of ornaments I wanted to make. This is an important step because if you try to decoupage the image from your home computer the ink with run, and change colors and looks terrible. Trust me, I learned this the hard way! (If you want to use words in your project…photo copy them too!!)

Step 1: Take your photo copied image and use a jar lid to trace a circle around your image so that it fits perfectly in your finished ornament. Cut the circle of your image out and set aside. Now is a good time to cut out your “words”. I cut each word out individually which made it easier for placement. (Now is also a good time to assemble your ornament as a “test” ornament to make sure everything is going to fit and to get an idea of how your finished ornament will look.)

Step 2 : Assemble the jar lids. Glue the jar lid to the ring with Tacky Glue. Let dry.

Step 3: Spray paint the the back side of your ornament. Let dry. Turn over and spray paint the front side. This step may require a couple of coats.

Bunco Ornments 016

Step 4: Decoupage the image to the lid and ring set. Start by painting the Mod Podge to the inside of your ring and then paint the back side of your circle and place it in your ornament. Then finish with a coat of Mod Podge directly on the image and make sure it is completely sealed and there are no air bubbles.

Bunco Ornments 002

Step 5: Now you can start decoupaging your words on the ornament. Use the same 3 step process, Mod Podge the ornament, Mod Podge the back of the words, then give a coat over the top to seal. Let dry.

Bunco Ornments 006

Bunco Ornments 014

Step 6: Cut a length of ribbon to wrap around the edge of your ornament allowing extra a the top if you want to make a bow.

Step 7: Apply Tacky Glue around the outer side edge of the ornament and wrap the ribbon around the ornament. (I did not tie a bow on mine). Add any other embellishments you might like at this time.

Bunco Ornaments 019

Step 8: Sign the back, add a special message and don’t forget to put the date on it! I used a red and green Sharpie Permanent Ink Pen for this.

Bunco Ornaments 018

Step 9: Cut a length of thin ribbon for your hanger. Loop it, dab on some Tacky Glue to join it together and then add a drop of Tacky Glue to the to outer edge on the back to adhere the ribbon hanger to your ornament. Let dry completely before you try to hang it.

Bunco Ornaments 005

And here are the 12 sweet Vintage Bunco Babes on the front side….

Bunco Ornaments 013

And here are the backsides with a Merry Christmas Wish for 2009.

I can’t wait for our Christmas Bunco Party so that I can give these out just like Santa!

image

I am going to link this up to DIY Show Off Holiday Highlights. Stop by for some other great Holiday DIY Ideas!

I am also going to link this up to the Shanty 2 Chic Rust-0-leum Revamp Party. Stop by here to see what transformations can be make using Rust-o-leum Spray Paint.

And I have linked this post up to Make It For Monday over at Cottage Instincts. Drop by for a visit!

I am also linked up to Kate's Centsational Girl for her fabulous ornament party. Gorgeous ornaments here! Come look!


26 comments:

Roeshel said...

I love it! What a super cute and personal gift idea! The vintage photo with the names is just adorable! Great job!

Thanks for adding your creativity to the DIY holiday party!

Have a great week!

Roeshel

trish said...

Oh I love this! Your friends will treasure their gifts for many years. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Ps. I am in a quilting club and made 20 key chains (they are posted on my blog) in my spare time too! ;o)

Fifi Flowers said...

That is a FAB gift idea!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

How cute and what a nice idea to have a little something for your Bunco group!

Melissa Miller said...

What a creative and beautiful idea Lisa! I just love em' and they will too!

Enjoy this wonderful joyous season! ~Warmly, ~Melissa :)

RNSANE said...

How lucky these ladies are to have such a creative bunko partner! You certainly go to a lot of trouble!

Mud Pie Studio said...

This is SUCH a cute idea. Where did you find the image with all the women?!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

What a cute idea. They are going to love it!

Janna said...

That is such a cute idea. I love the vintage photo!

Rhonda said...

I've never been to a Bunco party! Maybe I should get one going! I love the ornament and bet they will too!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Hey, Lisa, I'm a Bunco Chick too! Our group does an annual C'mas dinner/Secret Santa Exchange as well . . . going on 4 years now. Even though we draw names, I still make a little something for all the girls. I'm doing ornaments again this year. Yours are great! Love the idea! Wish I'd thought of it ;o)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Cute as pie! Would you be willing tho share where you found that photo? I love it and there are 12 of us in the "Clematis Club". Thanks!
lbratina@bellsouth.net

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

Love it!
I could do something like this for the cheer moms! haha. They'd get such a kick out of it!

Janice aka mom, grandma, said...

LOVE them! thank you so much for sharing.

janice

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

I'm in love with that vintage photo and all the names. This truly is a unique and awesome ornament!!

Decor To Adore said...

How cute, clever and special!

I hope that you will come by and see the ornaments I made: pearl encrusted star, crystal and button ball and an anthro inspired tree topper.

Kate Riley said...

Those are just about the most thoughtful and touching ornaments ever. The fact that you took the time to make such a keepsake for special friends will never be forgotten. Cheers to you on this day for creating something so very special.
Hugs
Kate

And thanks for linking up to the party !!!

Unknown said...

LOVE the vintage photos! Awesome. I'm Tweeting these now!

Suzanne McNeill said...

Absolutely adorable!!

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

I love this idea!! To use lids..., how genius! Happy Holidays!!

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

That's a great idea and I love the images you used. We call our Bunko group drunko. The last few times we've met there has been no dice rolling...Merry Christmas!

Jen said...

That's a great idea for the Bunko group! Love what you've done! Saw you on the Ornament party!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

That picture is so fun! I would love such a personalized gift!!

cindy said...

What a great gift! LOVE old photos, and I think it's hysterical that you labelled the girls in the photo with the girls in your group. Awesome!

sweetjeanette said...

What a great idea! I love it. I don't know how to play Bunco, but would be willing to learn if they'd give me one of those! LOL

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

Shellbelle said...

What a wonderful idea, you are just so clever I could spend all day here!