Thursday, December 3, 2009

Top 12 Favorite Movies to Watch During the Holidays

I got to thinking about my favorite movies to watch this time of year. Here they are in no particular order.

imageimage

1. Love Actually: I am crazy for almost any movie that comes out of England...that quirky Brit humor. And how funny was that aging rocker?

image image

2. Christmas in Connecticut: The original Martha Stewart.

image image

3. White Christmas: Love this each time I see it. Great dancing and have you ever seen a waist that small on a human being?? And who drinks buttermilk when they can’t sleep??? (cough, cough, gag, gag.)

image

4. While you were sleeping: I love this movie anytime of year but especially at Christmas. Who wouldn’t want to be a part of that family?

image

5. Home Alone: So entertaining. Love Chicago in the wintertime.

image

6. Elf: Such a cute and original move.

image

7. The Holiday: Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet swap houses over the holiday. Sweet movie and you get a taste of England too!

image

8. The Family Stone: Just saw this one on TV. We finally got digital cable and we keep finding new channels and this was on just the the other night. It makes me cry every time but I just love it. Quirky. And I love quirky!

imageimageimage

9. A Charlie Brown Christmas: Technically not a a movie but it sure is cute and it takes me back……wayyyyyy back. :)

imageimageimage

10. Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer: Again, not a movie but it is beloved by many. I Love Herbie the Dentist. This show made me cry when I was little and the Abominable Snowman scared me big time!

image

11. It’s a Wonderful life: This is my husband's favorite holiday movie.

image

12. About A Boy: Who knows all the words to "Santa’s Super Sleigh"?

I know I am forgetting some good ones. I have to thank Kelly at Kelly at Dare to be Domestic who just posted her top 10 holiday movies a day or two ago and made me think about what my favorites are. What are some of your favorites?

21 comments:

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I love your list- I also love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation- a tacky classic for years to come!

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog- it is so appreciated xo

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I love your list Lisa, so many are my favorites too... you mentioned on my blog about the red dishes, were you talking about the red ones with the leaves and holly around the edge, they are all red..I have a couple of dinner plates and 2 salad plates, the salad plates have red christmas tree in center...Bordallo Pinheiro they are available at www.mysimon.com or on replacements, they have cups, bowls, plates and saucers...hope this helps if it is the same dishes...let me know

Patricia said...

My all time favorites are Its a wonderful life and frosty the snowman
Merry Christmas

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Except for A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life, I tend to like the comedies: Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, The Santa Clause. Great list, Lisa! Sometimes if I'm in the mood, I'll watch one of those old cartoons like Rudolph.

Danielle and Clint said...

I LOVE the family stone!! Great movie!! I like the Polar Express also.

Stacey said...

I completely agree with your list adding Christmas Vacation. We have to watch it every single year. My poor husband just never stops laughing at the cat in that movie. I just watched Love Actually on Wednesday night. Loved it!

karen@fitnessjourney said...

I was just thinking that I would like to rent "Love Actually" again. So many great story lines. I love the story line with Colin Firth (spelling?) and the woman who doesn't speak English. I am always a little teary eyed with the story with Emma Thompson (I think that's her name) whose husband is a big jerk. Great movie. My family loves Elf too-we watch it every year. Our favorite line is "You sit on a throne of lies."

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Great list you have here...my girls have worn out our "Home Alone" movies... one of our family favorites! Hope you have a FUN weekend!

Blessings,
Linda

Melissa Miller said...

Lisa these are great ones!
We love Elf too! :)

gina said...

The grinch that stole Christmas- cartoon and jc versions!!

The Christmas Slippers- that super sad Christmas song turned cheesy TV movie.


I loved The Holiday too. Haven't seen The Family Stone- just added to my list though!

We love Elf.

The year without a Santa Claus is a must watch- my husband loves the Meiser brothers- my kids knew the words to their two songsbefore they could walk. ;)


We love The Sound of Music anytime of year.


One of my oldie but goodies is The Griswald;s Christmas Vacation- I still remeber seeing it in the theather my jr. year of high school- i still laugh just as hard. And , oh what's the name of it, we were jsut watching it last night... with Tim what's his name and Jamie lee Curtis- they were going to skip christmas but then their daughter surprises them by coming home and they panic trying to set it up. Oh, shoot I can't think of it...

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I knew I would miss some great movies. Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation is one and of course....The Grinch! I love the Grinch Who Stole Christmas! Thanks for reminding me!

MsAnnieBelle said...

Major props to you for including While you Were Sleeping as a quintessential holiday movie. it's my all time fave no matter what time of year - but such a lovely thing to watch around the holidays. it gets me everytime!

i also am a huge fan of miracle of the 34th street (the 1994 remake) - dylan mcdermott, hubba hubba!

Tee said...

Love your list. My favorites are A Christmas Story (all 24 hours of it), Elf (the guys have pretty much memorized the entire movie and quote it throughout the year), and Family Man.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the Family Stone... That scene in the kitchen where she drops whatever she is cooking is so hilarious! It also makes me tear up each time thinking about the last Christmas with a loved one.

Good picks!

RNSANE said...

What great movies...I've seen them all and, thankfully, many of them are being shown again. I've added a few to my Netflix choices.

Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Donna said...

Little Drummer Boy is my fav.
Thanks for the list!

(sorry for the delete - too early to type)

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I added The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and I am talking about the original cartoon.
I did not like the Jim Carey movie at all!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm done with every one of those...except I've never seen the last one. Netflix! Love Actually is "our" movie. The soundtrack even made an appearance in our wedding!

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Good call with the Family Stone. I received that for Christmas last year and I loved it. This is a great list!